https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/14486-directive_2000_35_ec_shortcut.html

Directive 2000/35/EC-Shortcut
Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:28
Flemish to English
+ ...
Sep 26, 2003

I have created a shortcut(a European flag) to "Directive 2000/35/EC on combating late payment in commercial transactions on my desktop and was wondering if (direct)clients comply with the stipulations of this directive : payment after thirty days. I am particularly interested in feedback from Italy, France and Spain.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not in Italy Sep 26, 2003

No. In Italy they pay 60 to 120 days later. Companies abroad 45 to 90, with slight improvment. The worst part is that one USA agency passed from 30 days to 60 (to 90?).

It is terrible. And I even feel shy talking about it, because I am afraid that - by reading this thread - good payers could feel legitimated to do as everybodyelse...

Williamson wrote:
and was wondering if (direct)clients comply with the stipulations of this directive : payment after thirty days. I am particularly interested in feedback from Italy, France and Spain.

[Edited at 2003-09-26 13:59]

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:28
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Deeply rooted traditions do not go away easily Sep 26, 2003

If you read through the directive (in the current 11 E.U.languages), it says that if goods/services are delivered according to agreement between both parties, then the buyer has to pay within thirthy days or you are entitled to ask the interest-rate set by the ECB. This directive has been enacted into laws in ALL the Member States, France, Spain and Italy included.
In other words: It has become illegal to pay after 30 days.
A law is a law and for a law to be observed you have to go
... See more
If you read through the directive (in the current 11 E.U.languages), it says that if goods/services are delivered according to agreement between both parties, then the buyer has to pay within thirthy days or you are entitled to ask the interest-rate set by the ECB. This directive has been enacted into laws in ALL the Member States, France, Spain and Italy included.
In other words: It has become illegal to pay after 30 days.
A law is a law and for a law to be observed you have to go court, which might be costly if you do not have a legal insurance.
I have one against "all conflicts", but I do not know whether there is one for professional conflicts.
You pay the insurance once a year and if a conflict between you and a client arises, you do not have to pay the lawyer, the insurance company does.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Directive 2000/35/EC-Shortcut

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »