Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:21
French to German
+ ...
Formations Sep 18, 2009

RUTH ELIZABETH BARTLETT wrote:

Sounds like exactly what i'm looking for

They also offer you the formation needed to do your accounting according to French fiscal laws. And note that -ah, les Français !- the intervention of an "expert-comptable" (the equivalent of a chartered public accountant, I guess?) is mandatory should you not wish or have the time to participate to these (free, BTW) formations.
See http://www.association-de-gestion-agree.net/ for more details.

[Edited at 2009-09-18 14:12 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:21
Swedish to English
+ ...
Just a little side note Sep 18, 2009

Don't want to rain or your parade, but...

Have you got the financial resources to pay the translators you outsource to even if your client doesn't pay you?

The contract between them and you will have nothing to do with the contract between you and your client. You have to pay your translator as agreed regardless of when/if your client pays you. That's the main reason why I haven't gone down this route (yet). Although I have some capital, I'm not sure I'm willing to tak
... See more
Don't want to rain or your parade, but...

Have you got the financial resources to pay the translators you outsource to even if your client doesn't pay you?

The contract between them and you will have nothing to do with the contract between you and your client. You have to pay your translator as agreed regardless of when/if your client pays you. That's the main reason why I haven't gone down this route (yet). Although I have some capital, I'm not sure I'm willing to take on the extra legal and financial obligations.
Collapse

RUTH ELIZABETH BARTLETT
RUTH ELIZABETH BARTLETT
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
A good point. Sep 19, 2009

Yes. This is something to think about.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
Local time: 14:21
French to Dutch
+ ...
The reason for this Sep 21, 2009

just my grain of salt as a translator living and working in France: if you are not registered as an EuRL / SàRL (limited liability company), but as an EI (self-employed entrepreneur), it is strictly forbidden under French fiscal laws to take any kind of commission from outsourced jobs. You must sell the outsourced work at the price you bought it from the translator.

The reason for this is that if you are an EI, translation is an intellectual activity, not a commercial activity. Taking a commission means that you are doing a commercial activity.

When subcontracting a non-disclosure agreement seems necessary with a clause that the translator cannot directly contact the end client without your permission.

If you have lots of work to be subcontracted, then start a SARL. As an EI, the only other solution is teaming up with other translators and sending them the client directly, such as we all do, so that they can invoice the client on their own.

The other very important thing, when subcontracting, is that you have to be sure that your subcontractor pays his social security contributions, so ask him for proof of this, and verify it. You are responsible for this and you'll have to show it if ever an Urssaf inspector will be visiting you.

RUTH ELIZABETH BARTLETT
RUTH ELIZABETH BARTLETT
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed - building up a network of good translators seems the right way to go Sep 21, 2009

Hello,
Those are very good points. Presumably you would still use the bidding system in order to build up such a network and then just put the client in touch directly?
Thanks,
Ruth

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agreements for contractors

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »