Creating a portfolio of translations using articles from published material
Thread poster: Cristina Lo Bianco

Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:55
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 7, 2009

Hello,

I'm about to embark on a new campaign for finding new clients in scientific translations, a field where I'd love to work more in the future.
I would like to send a few sample translations together with my application, and also put some on my ProZ profile, but I can't use the ones from my past jobs due to non disclosure agreements.

Do you know if there is any legal impediment against sending translations of sample text taken from published material, like for example Scientific American magazine?

On a more general basis, do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks,
Cristina


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marta Brambilla  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:55
German to Italian
+ ...
Idea Oct 7, 2009

Hi Cristina,

I'm starting a campaing, too, so your post interest me quite a lot.

And instead of sending translations from published material you just declare yourself ready to accomplish a short test translation, stating how many words maximum???
I think this could spare you time and work, and only do translations for those customer which are really interested in your services (or they wouldn't bother asking you a test translation). In this case you would work on "real" material and give your customer a proof of your ability.

It's just an idea, but what do you think about this???

Thanks for sharing,
Marta


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:55
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aiming at end clients Oct 7, 2009

Mbrambilla wrote:


And instead of sending translations from published material you just declare yourself ready to accomplish a short test translation, stating how many words maximum???




Hi Marta,

I think this is the right thing to do with translation agencies, who usually have well defined recruiting procedures.

When I came with the idea of sample translation, I was thinking more about end clients, like for example (more or less) scientific magazines, who's attention I would like to capture in some way.

Ciao,
Cristina


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:55
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Excerpts Oct 7, 2009

Hi Cristina

I have found various ways of dealing with this.

I have asked permission of various long-standing academic clients of mine to post excerpts from work I have done for them within my Proz profile. I have also cleared permission to do this from the publishers in question. If you have a long-standing arrangement with them and the work is already published, you may also find that there is no objection to you doing this.

I generally ask my clients to cite my name as translator on any work that is to be published and often this can be found by anyone doing a Google search, for instance, so my involvement ceases to be private. Reference can be made to these publications - again I would also clear it, for politeness sake and to cover myself, with author and publisher.

Kind regards
Helen


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Esteban Flamini  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wikipedia? Oct 7, 2009

Hi!

How about looking for some Wikipedia articles which are not translated yet to your target language? By definition, they are free (CreativeCommons-licensed material) and you will find plenty of scientific topics.

This is an approach I am considering using to populate my Proz.com portfolio). By the way, you can also contribute your sample translation to Wikipedia.

Hope it helps. Best regards!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Esteban Flamini  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Clarification Oct 7, 2009

Of course, there's a catch: someone could think you've just copied an already translated article from Wikipedia. However, if you create a Wikipedia account (with a name clearly identifying you), your article will be signed and your name will appear as the creator on the last 'History' page accompanying each article on Wikipedia.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:55
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wikipedia: good idea! Oct 8, 2009

Esteban Flamini wrote:

Hi!

How about looking for some Wikipedia articles which are not translated yet to your target language? By definition, they are free (CreativeCommons-licensed material) and you will find plenty of scientific topics.

This is an approach I am considering using to populate my Proz.com portfolio). By the way, you can also contribute your sample translation to Wikipedia.



That's a really good idea, Esteban!

And I think you're right:

Esteban Flamini wrote:

Of course, there's a catch: someone could think you've just copied an already translated article from Wikipedia. However, if you create a Wikipedia account (with a name clearly identifying you), your article will be signed and your name will appear as the creator on the last 'History' page accompanying each article on Wikipedia.


contributing it to Wikipedia and getting credit for it would be the best way to do it.

Thanks a lot!
Cristina

[Edited at 2009-10-08 07:51 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Use Creative Commons content Oct 8, 2009

Cristina Lo Bianco wrote:
Do you know if there is any legal impediment against sending translations of sample text taken from published material, like for example Scientific American magazine?


It depends on the laws of your country, but it is worthwhile to note that (a) you will be using the text for commercial purposes and (b) you will be distributing it.

So, why not use content from the web that is licensed with a Creative Commons (CC) license? If the license is "BY-SA" (Attribution-ShareAlike), then you can use it. You can use Google to find content that is so licensed (although double-check each web page to see if it is really licensed in that way).

Try this search:

h t t p : / / w w w . g o o g l e . c o m / s e a r c h ? a s _ r i g h t s = ( c c _ p u b l i c d o m a i n % 7 C c c _ a t t r i b u t e % 7 C c c _ s h a r e a l i k e ) . - ( c c _ n o n c o m m e r c i a l % 7 C c c _ n o n d e r i v e d ) & q = s c i e n c e

(Sorry, you're gonna have to remove the spaces because ProZ.com's *stupid* forum software keeps breaking the URL if I paste it in its correct form, no matter what other tricks I try.)






[Edited at 2009-10-08 09:54 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:55
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Public Library of Science: thanks Samuel Oct 8, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

So, why not use content from the web that is licensed with a Creative Commons (CC) license? If the license is "BY-SA" (Attribution-ShareAlike), then you can use it. You can use Google to find content that is so licensed (although double-check each web page to see if it is really licensed in that way).

Try this search:

h t t p : / / w w w . g o o g l e . c o m / s e a r c h ? a s _ r i g h t s = ( c c _ p u b l i c d o m a i n % 7 C c c _ a t t r i b u t e % 7 C c c _ s h a r e a l i k e ) . - ( c c _ n o n c o m m e r c i a l % 7 C c c _ n o n d e r i v e d ) & q = s c i e n c e

(Sorry, you're gonna have to remove the spaces because ProZ.com's *stupid* forum software keeps breaking the URL if I paste it in its correct form, no matter what other tricks I try.)


Thanks a lot Samuel, I tried your search code and easily found this very useful resource, the "Public Library of Science" (http://www.plos.org).

They publish scientific articles in a variety of fields on an open access basis: "All material published by the Public Library of Science, whether submitted to or created by PLoS, is published under an open access license that allows unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.".

That's exactly what I was looking for, but I won't discard the Wikipedia idea, since it offers the possibility of actually publish the translation.

Ciao,
Cristina


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Esteban Flamini  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Superb! Oct 8, 2009

Thanks Samuel and Cristina for both your suggestions! I will certainly make use of them!

[Edited at 2009-10-08 17:51 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a portfolio of translations using articles from published material

Advanced search







Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search