This has got to be a record (six quotes in ten minutes in response to a job posting)
Thread poster: Daniel Grau

Daniel Grau  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Oct 20, 2009

There was a 750,000-word English/Spanish job posted at "Oct 20, 2009 13:58 ARST (GMT-2)."

When I opened the link, it said: "This job was closed @ Oct 20, 2009 14:08 ARST (GMT-2)."

Do you know how many quotes it had received over the 10 minutes the job was active? Six.

Regards,

Daniel

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-20 20:11 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
Perhaps the poster/closer of that job ad got over-optimistic with those few responses. Oct 20, 2009

Greetings.

Seems a touch unusual to close a posted job after receiving only six responses for such a **large**[750K words?!?] job?

Perhaps the poster/closer of that advertised job got over-optimistic with those few responses, or that person was otherwise trolling for cheap quotes.

Hard to imagine that one or two translators (or several more translators, plus the fact that significant issues of QA/QC/integration and editing are added into the production cycle) could undertake and complete such a large project unless the schedule for delivery of product is waaaay down in the future.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic
San Pedro, California

[Edited at 2009-10-20 20:11 GMT]

dianaochoa  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same story Oct 20, 2009

Looks like an old story..It has happened to me more than once. I even requested a support ticket once, having found all of a sudden a new job post, with an old date. Guess what? The job was already closed. I got an answer like "I can not prove that it just appeared"..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This has got to be a record (six quotes in ten minutes in response to a job posting)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search