How do European translators cope with the Dwindling dollar
Thread poster: Williamson

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:29
Flemish to English
+ ...
Oct 26, 2009

Question to European translators : In these days of the dwindling dollar, how do you cope with offers from the US? After all, a typical proz.com offer of 0.05 cents p.w. amounts to about 0.0225 eurocents p.w.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-26 17:29 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I don't accept them Oct 26, 2009

since US agencies always seem to offer a lot less anyway, I never work for them.

Benoit HUPIN  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:29
English to French
+ ...
I do no longer work for North American agencies Oct 26, 2009

Hello,

This is very simple. Here in France, we are amongst the most expensive translators (mainly due to a strong euro and very high taxes and charges). If I accept North American rates, it means that I am working at a loss. Consequently, I only work for French or Western European agencies.

Moreover, it seems that American agencies are very fond of cheques. And receiving a cheque means waiting a long time to get the money and paying huge bank fees (in the worst case, it means paying to work).

Thus, I prefer doing one European project paid 8 or 9 eurocents than being a slave working neverending hours to make a living with projects paid peanuts.

Regards,

Benoit

[Edited at 2009-10-26 23:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do European translators cope with the Dwindling dollar

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search