What is the average daily capacity for translation?
Thread poster: Tasshaa Springord

Tasshaa Springord
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:59
English to Amharic
+ ...
Nov 2, 2009

Hi everyone,

From experience, my daily capacity varies depending on whether I am translating from English or my first language.

However, I need your thoughts on a general issue. What is the average daily capacity for translation?

Cheers.

T

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-03 11:38 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jānis Greivuls
Latvia
Local time: 02:59
English to Latvian
+ ...
1500 words Nov 3, 2009

Not more

[Rediģēts plkst. 2009-11-03 08:43 GMT]

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:59
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Nov 3, 2009

That is the million dollar question.

Even with a same translator the rate will vary, also rate per day is very flexible, as it depends on how many hours you actually spend translating, you might have an 8 hour work day, but only spend 6 or 7 hours translating, or you might do 12 hours in a stretch. What I mean to say by this is that rate per hour is probably a better measure than rate per day, then you just multiply that rate by the amount of hours you actually work.

My rate varies between 350 to 600 words an hour, the factors that make it fluctuate so much are basically two:

Format of the original: a handwritten PDF will take a lot longer to translate than a formatted Word file you can use CAT tools on.

Subject: general texts are a lot quicker than specialized subject with a lot of terminology.

So in an 8 hour day I can do anywhere from just under 3000 words to just under 6000.

I imagine other translator have other factors that affect their speed but these are the two that determine mine.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:59
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Comparing pears with apples... Nov 3, 2009

In my opinion the only reasonable comparison you can use is with data reported by other English-Amharic translators...

Tasshaa Springord
United Kingdom
English to Amharic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 3, 2009

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Alex, I agree with your common sense approach very much.

Tomas, you are right in a sense that translating to languages with different grammatical structure takes more time than working on languages of more or less simillar structure.

Thanks again.

T

Tasshaa Springord
United Kingdom
English to Amharic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 3, 2009

Thanks Janis for sharing your experience.

T

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Anything between 500 and 6000 words Nov 3, 2009

I am a very moody translator. I tend to have some very bad days when nothing goes right and then I drag my work out as much as I can (or if possible, just put it aside seeing as it is just not going anyhow), sometimes doing only paltry 500 words a day. And another day my fingers just fly over they keyboard and I have no difficulties translating 2000 words in 2 hours. Of course, it does depend on the source text as well.

Tasshaa Springord
United Kingdom
English to Amharic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same here Nov 3, 2009

I know what you mean Burell.

My days vary from one to the other. I like my days to be sunnier and my texts to be less technical and jargon free but unfortunately it does not happen so often.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Depends on many factors Nov 3, 2009

Such as source language and subject area. Literary translation takes more time...much more time.

http://geraldineoudin.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the average daily capacity for translation?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search