Thread poster: Richard Bartholomew

Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:08
Member (2007)
German to English
Nov 3, 2009

... I tell you things, you tell me things."

What's to stop abysmal translator A from striking a deal with shady agency B? A provides a glowing Blue Board rating for B. B reciprocates in kind on A's Willingness to Work Again section.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Maybe nothing/no-one, Richard... Nov 3, 2009

except that it would work once once, be it for A or for B: "Lügen haben kurze Beine" (Lies don't last for long for those who don't do German). Plus the fact that Dr. Hannibal Lecter ends up getting the best over Clarice M Starling, in this novel as well as the final one.

[Edited at 2009-11-03 13:55 GMT]

Michiel Leeuwenburgh  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
Something like professional honor? Nov 3, 2009

Of course for some people this doesn't count for much. But I tend to cling to the thought that shoddiness and shadiness don't go a long way and in the end A will take down B or vice versa.
But if you're implying that this is a way to abuse the Blue Board system, then you're probably right.

Cheers,
Michiel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Quid pro quo, Clarice. ...

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search