How can I obtain a Tax Residency Certificate in Portugal? (Certificação de Residência Fiscal)
Thread poster: Marcia Liddle BA(Hons), MA, ACIL

Marcia Liddle BA(Hons), MA, ACIL
Local time: 04:43
French to English
+ ...
Nov 12, 2009


I've recently moved to Portugal from the UK, and one of my Spanish clients now requires a tax residency certificate from Portugal. Has anyone obtained this certificate in Portugal before who wouldn't mind explaining how? So far I have tried to request it online with no luck.

I am registered as a tax payer and as self-employed already so I went to the Finanças website, logged in, went to Obter > Certidões > Efectuar Pedido > Certificação de Residência Fiscal, filled out the form and clicked on confirm. But I got the following error message: Não existe declaração de IR, pedido de certificação pendente de Despacho pela DSRI.

I don't see why I need to have submitted a tax return in order to obtain the certificate as I haven't been working here long enough to have had to submit one yet. Am I looking in the wrong place on the website? Or would it be better to try to get it in person? When I registered as self-employed and asked if they could give me a tax residency certificate I was told to do it online.

I also found a PDF version of the request form on the website, should I fill this in and send it by post, or do you think I will come up against the same problem?

I really appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Local time: 04:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Please read the last two lines... Nov 12, 2009

Direct link Reply with quote

lexical  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:43
Portuguese to English
have you lived there 183 days in the tax year? Nov 12, 2009

There may be a parallel with my experience when I first moved to Spain. I also applied for a certificate of tax residency, only to be told that it couldn't be issued until I'd lived in the country for 183 days in the tax year. Until I'd done so, I wasn't technically tax resident.

Immediately the 183 days were up, the certificate was issued immediately. Perhaps the situation is similar in Portugal. Maybe you should ask Finanças.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I obtain a Tax Residency Certificate in Portugal? (Certificação de Residência Fiscal)

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search