How can I obtain a Tax Residency Certificate in Portugal? (Certificação de Residência Fiscal)
Thread poster: Marcia Liddle BA(Hons), MA, ACIL

Marcia Liddle BA(Hons), MA, ACIL
Local time: 06:16
French to English
+ ...
Nov 12, 2009

Hello,

I've recently moved to Portugal from the UK, and one of my Spanish clients now requires a tax residency certificate from Portugal. Has anyone obtained this certificate in Portugal before who wouldn't mind explaining how? So far I have tried to request it online with no luck.

I am registered as a tax payer and as self-employed already so I went to the Finanças website, logged in, went to Obter > Certidões > Efectuar Pedido > Certificação de Residência Fiscal, filled out the form and clicked on confirm. But I got the following error message: Não existe declaração de IR, pedido de certificação pendente de Despacho pela DSRI.

I don't see why I need to have submitted a tax return in order to obtain the certificate as I haven't been working here long enough to have had to submit one yet. Am I looking in the wrong place on the website? Or would it be better to try to get it in person? When I registered as self-employed and asked if they could give me a tax residency certificate I was told to do it online.

I also found a PDF version of the request form on the website, should I fill this in and send it by post, or do you think I will come up against the same problem?

I really appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 06:16
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Please read the last two lines... Nov 12, 2009

http://info.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/NR/rdonlyres/AF3DF47E-479E-4263-B7A6-BB23AF95175D/0/mod2_rfi.pdf

lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:16
Portuguese to English
have you lived there 183 days in the tax year? Nov 12, 2009

There may be a parallel with my experience when I first moved to Spain. I also applied for a certificate of tax residency, only to be told that it couldn't be issued until I'd lived in the country for 183 days in the tax year. Until I'd done so, I wasn't technically tax resident.

Immediately the 183 days were up, the certificate was issued immediately. Perhaps the situation is similar in Portugal. Maybe you should ask Finanças.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I obtain a Tax Residency Certificate in Portugal? (Certificação de Residência Fiscal)

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search