Directives regarding machinery
Thread poster: Åsa Campbell

Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:40
English to Swedish
Nov 17, 2009

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are other directives/standards, other than the European Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC, regarding machinery that clearly state that the documentation must be translated to the local language in the country where the equipment is installed?

I'm thinking that there may be standards in other parts of the world with similar requirements for documentation, or is this normally a legal requirement in each country?

Thanks in advance,
Åsa

Direct link Reply with quote

Svetlana Branhouse  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:10
English to Russian
+ ...
This is the most famous... Nov 17, 2009

Hi Asa

In my practice, when it came to the statement that documentation must be translated to the language of the country of operating, I only had reference to this EC Standard.

It means, one CAN NOT sell an item say to Germany, if the manual is in English, even if every person in that German company speaks fluent English, and the German translation is lacking quality! In other parts of the world, if you are, for example, an English speaker but are happy to work with a German manual, is just your commercial decision.

Obviously, there could be some similar corporate standards existing inside the large global companies, but this will be on case-by-case basis, and nothing like national government level. To my knowledge...

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:10
French to German
+ ...
In the USA Nov 17, 2009

Hi Asa,
try to google for the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Directives regarding machinery

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search