How to provide references when all my other clients are competitors of this one?
Thread poster: Tom in London

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:11
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nov 24, 2009

Frequently, when filling in forms to register with new agencies, they ask for references from people I've translated for.

I can't provide that information because (a) the people I've translated for are other agencies who I'm sure would prefer me not to disclose them to their competitors (b) because I regard all the translating work I do as strictly confidential and I would not be happy about revealing the names of the people I've been working for.

How can I get around this problem?

Direct link Reply with quote

Sushan Harshe
India
Local time: 21:41
English to Hindi
+ ...
Confusion with terms confidentiality and competitor! Nov 25, 2009

Hi Tom,

A] In each and every business field everyone is a competitor for all others.
B] You are not disclosing the work you have done for someone; you are just mentioning them for confirmation from potential client/s. In any sense this not breach of any kindly of confidentiality, unless otherwise “non-discloser of client name” is specified in contract agreement with that specific client or suggested in writing.

Regards,

Sudarshan

Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:11
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Fellow translators Nov 25, 2009

Hi Tom,

Didn't you ever perform jobs for fellow translators who run their business as a tiny agency or who just outsource very occasionally? I'm sure these people wouldn't mind being quoted as a reference and another plus: if you are in good terms with them, they would surely give you a very positive reference.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:11
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea Nov 25, 2009

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

Hi Tom,

Didn't you ever perform jobs for fellow translators who run their business as a tiny agency or who just outsource very occasionally? I'm sure these people wouldn't mind being quoted as a reference and another plus: if you are in good terms with them, they would surely give you a very positive reference.

Good idea Sophie.....although in the nicest possible way, my fellow translators are also my competitors....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to provide references when all my other clients are competitors of this one?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search