Thread poster: Dhiraj Khati

Dhiraj Khati  Identity Verified
Nepal
Local time: 01:03
Member (2009)
English to Nepali
+ ...
Dec 29, 2009

I have been in translation field for 3 years and I must say my these three years were very smooth. Very good communication with outsource, nice relationship and above all full payment. But recently I faced an unusual situation, I would say first in my translation career.

Few days ago I had bid for a project posted by reputed agency ( more than 30 WWA entries) and my bid accepted but the time period was too narrow. The work was to translate, proofread, edit and place in a given format.

Due to some personal reason I could not continue working for 2 days so I mailed them 2 days before deadline to extend deadline to extra 1- 2 days if possible. And also informed that I will anyhow finish the project on time if there is no possibility of extension.

I didn't get replied for 30 hours. After 30 hours they kindly inform that I have extra time of 2 days for completion of this project. I was happy and continued to finish my work.

Main confusion arises a day before deadline when someone from agency called me saying that they have already received translated files from someone else whom they have given project a month ago. They apologize for their mistake saying that this project was given to other person a month ago but never completed so asked me to do so. Now they received the translated file so they just want me to be proofread and insert it in a given format.

They just apologize for my time and translation and say that they have already paid the translator. They offered me 2/3 of last agreed price for remaining work. I agreed for this offer keeping in mind their situation . When I was about to start this remaining work another message came saying that it was a mistake to ask me for translation in the beginning. It was meant only for proofreading and formatting. They again apologize for mistake and offer me 1/3 of agreed price for remaining work. They said that they had received translated files many days earlier and they want to post only for proofreading . How can they only talk about their mistakes and why don't they look at others hard work. The job was posted on job board of this site and how can they say it was an mistake.
I was upset so I refused this offer also.
It's my first posting on forum and seems quiet long. I just wanted to share my feeling . Hope to hear some others stories like this from you proziens.
If someone reads it till the end, please suggest me is there anything I can ask for ? What should I have done ?
dhanyabaad ( thank you )

[Edited at 2009-12-30 11:23 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 20:18
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Ask to be paid for the part already completed Dec 29, 2009

It is not your problem that the agency has made this mistake - you were hired to do this job, end of story.

When you were first informed that you should not be translating, I suppose you stopped working on the translation at once?
Then I would inform the agency instantly about the amount of work already completed (xx amount of words already translated), and then I would politely but firmly insist on being paid for the number of words already translated (obviously sending the file(s) for proof if needed).

Of course the agency's situation is unfortunate, but how could they pay another translator for a job he/she did not deliver on time? Curious, but still not your problem.

Do you have a PO for this job? This would be very good for barganing with the agency.

Oh, and what do you mean by "remaining work"? That you would actually be completing the translation for some odd reason? I don't think I would do that. The agency says they already have a translation, so why would they need you to finish translating also??

[Edited at 2009-12-29 21:55 GMT]

Nepal
Member (2009)
English to Nepali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply Dec 29, 2009

Thanks PCovs,

Remaining work means they asked me to do translation , proofreading and formatting in given format. Now, they provided me translation done by others and offer me for remaining work of proofreading and formatting.
Just after posting this experience , I got replied from the company and they again tell me to do according to my translation as I have told them that the translation they provided had got many mistakes . I have almost finished translation 90% but they wanted it tomorrow. so I refused as I was upset due to their behavior. They are also not giving me time as agreed before as they only think us like machine.
I think I am reacting little more due to my first experience like this .

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:18
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Insist on pay for what you have done Dec 29, 2009

Send them the translation you have done, with an invoice for that work. Assuming you haven't finished the translation, you may, out of the kindness of your heart, let them off the other words that THEY HAVE CONTRACTED TO PAY.

It's sad for them, and may result in someone getting fired, but they hired you to do a job and can hardly complain when you do it.

Edited: When I posted, your last comment wasn't available. It seems they are wanting you to dig them out of a situation that they've got themselves into.

Whether you do that or not depends on how important they are to you (in the past and in the future). If you're just fed up with their attitude, you have every right to decline the work still to be done. By the way, surely they weren't expecting one person to do the translation and the revising? Maybe I've misunderstood.

Anyway, I suggest you look carefully through the PO and all correspondence to ensure you did as asked, then insist on being paid for that work. If they now want more, with no extra time, then they can't necessarily have it without negotiating, and even then you can refuse.

[Edited at 2009-12-29 22:24 GMT]

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:48
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
A suggestion Dec 29, 2009

Dear Dhiraj,

I would suggest you to insist on payment firstly agreed. If you have Purchase Order, you can ask for it.

Having 30 entries doesn't always mean that the agency is good in payments also. Hope you read the comments of the other translators and responses of the agency representative also.

I have noticed agencies rushing to resolve the matter after receiving negative entries to maintain their reputation. Some of them show ignorance blaming translator for the bad work, however, it's always agency's fault, if they have selected any translator without proper pre-selection procedure. In your case, it's clearly their fault, as they have got the translation done from 2 translators because of their own CARELESSNESS. No translator should be made suffer because of this!

I have observed a well-known agency's GM mistreating it's own exiting employees even, evenafter the poor chap's months or years of hardwork for the company. What more to say, how such GMs, PMs can treat the freelancers if allowed!!

The tip is, always target to give the best and expect the best. If they are not paying you, post the comments against them. At least, if any such agency posts the job, translators like me will catch your entry while doing the usual thorough checkups.

However, BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!

-PRAKAASH

Nepal
Member (2009)
English to Nepali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot you all...... Dec 29, 2009

Yes it seems that they are trying to come out of the dig that they have dug.
Just now I got reply from them, to continue this work according to my translation and also they have provided me extra time.
I accepted the offer as it seems that they are also in trouble.
thanks Prakaash, Sheila and PCovs for your suggestion. I really appreciated it .

Izabella Kraus  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Blue board entry Dec 29, 2009

and don't forget to make a blue board entry, so that other translators are warned.
Not everyone reads forums, but usually people check blue board entries.

Mattia Marcon  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 02:18
English to Italian
+ ...
Similar story, different reaction Dec 29, 2009

Hi, not so important maybe, but from my personal experience I always got paid when someone else made a mistake which affected my job, time spent and time which I could not use for other projects. Recently some agencies I work with had similar experiences with clients which agreed on a word amount, pretty huge (some weeks of work), then the client or sometimes the agency itself decided to carry out a part of the job in-house. They contacted me to receive the amount of word I already translated before the change of the project to create an invoice, with no need for me to insist or to underline that a job means time and money, no matter if the client changes his mind too late. I wish you good luck with your problem, but you should not be afraid of insisting to obtain what you deserve!

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:18
English to Arabic
+ ...
Avoid or keep a very-diligent & wary eye on future dealings with that language services agency Dec 30, 2009

Greetings.

Based on the events and background of that project as mentioned in this thread, you might well keep a very-diligent and wary eye on your future dealings with such a language services agency, especially that one.

The fact that that firm had already assigned that production earlier to another translator is NOT a good or positive indicator of its business practices and its reliability, despite the numerous WWA entries.

The fact that that firm did not advise you that it had earlier assigned the same project to another translator is despicable AND deceptive.

The fact that that firm then later turned to you you to, in effect, bail it out of the consequences of its own shaky and wobbly judgment, is yet another negative indicator.

In consideration of such shoddy business practice, whether that firm had sent you a completed and signed PO or job order [JO] -- which inclusion is a routine, ordinary and customary step in a contractual engagement of one's professional services -- when you were assigned that production is irrelevant, as that firm's treatment of you established clearly that PO or JOB was clearly NOT worth the paper on which the PO or JOB was faxed or printed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic and Persian
San Pedro, California

yakky  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 03:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
Let's hope it is only a rare accident Dec 30, 2009

DHIRAJ KHATI wrote:

Yes it seems that they are trying to come out of the dig that they have dug.
Just now I got reply from them, to continue this work according to my translation and also they have provided me extra time.
I accepted the offer as it seems that they are also in trouble.
thanks Prakaash, Sheila and PCovs for your suggestion. I really appreciated it .

According to this, I think this agency is not so bad, at least they want to correct this mistake, not making more. Let's hope it's just an accident and never occurs again.
Now I really understand why communication between translator and agency (not only from translator to agency) is so important!
Good Luck, DHIRAJ KHATI

Nepal
Member (2009)
English to Nepali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all, let's hope for better Dec 30, 2009

I am in this project once again and given more time to finish the work. I hope that we both understand the situation. But I am still doubtful about their reactions after delivery of my work as once I have discarded some of their revised offers and translation provided by them which was completely wrong and short. I suspect, they will also try to question about ability of translation, find many unnecessary mistakes and prolong my payment. But I am optimist too about their good understanding as they look professionals. If something like this happens I will definitely put it on my experiences here.
Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

[Edited at 2009-12-30 09:41 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Stay away of them in future Dec 30, 2009

No matter if you get paid or not, do not except further jobs from these folks. They seem to be poorly organized. And please don't give them a Five on the BlueBoard.
Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2009-12-30 12:28 GMT]

Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Sorry to hear about your bad experience Dec 30, 2009

I agree with Heinrich Pesch - give them a 3 if they pay, otherwise 2 or 1. Also don't accept any more work from them and let them know as they are really badly organized and when I first read your entry, I was getting suspicious that they want to reduce the pay.

Good luck with the project! A really nightmare for any translator!

Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
And the rates for that job? Dec 30, 2009

Stephen Franke wrote:

Greetings.

Based on the events and background of that project as mentioned in this thread, you might well keep a very-diligent and wary eye on your future dealings with such a language services agency, especially that one.

The fact that that firm had already assigned that production earlier to another translator is NOT a good or positive indicator of its business practices and its reliability, despite the numerous WWA entries.

The fact that that firm did not advise you that it had earlier assigned the same project to another translator is despicable AND deceptive.

The fact that that firm then later turned to you you to, in effect, bail it out of the consequences of its own shaky and wobbly judgment, is yet another negative indicator.

In consideration of such shoddy business practice, whether that firm had sent you a completed and signed PO or job order [JO] -- which inclusion is a routine, ordinary and customary step in a contractual engagement of one's professional services -- when you were assigned that production is irrelevant, as that firm's treatment of you established clearly that PO or JOB was clearly NOT worth the paper on which the PO or JOB was faxed or printed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic and Persian
San Pedro, California

It would not surprise me in the least if the rates offered by said agency were far below par.. Are they?

Nepal
Member (2009)
English to Nepali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rate was OK while starting and again agreed on same rate after issue Dec 30, 2009

They agreed on a price that I demanded for this project. After few mail they agreed on my price. My price was reasonable . No problem about that.
Let's see what will they came up with tomorrow when I will submit my project.
If they truly realize their mistake, I have to consider this issue as bad experience as we are in the same field.
Let's hope for good.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A bad experience ........ any suggestions

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search