Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:53
English to French
+ ...
Dec 30, 2009

Ok it's a classic but it always makes me laugh when I see it :

- Client appears on a translators' website saying he wants his book translated

- After my bid client contacts me : "I don't know under which conditions the book can be translated yet, but you can go to that online store, click on Buy and have a look at it. Your opinion would be most welcome".

Maria Burnett  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:53
Member (2002)
Italian to English
it's not a joke Dec 30, 2009

I had a prospective client telling me to go and take a look at his book, and went I got to the online store, the download was not free...go figure. In this case, the language combination was Italian-English.

British Diana
Germany
German to English
+ ...
a classical bitter-sweet joke on You Tube (28 000 views to date) Dec 30, 2009

An amusing (but bitter-sweet) song called "Five Thousand Words" is sung on You Tube by Sharonn Singer. It is about translating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9KbQyrxSIo
http://www.youtube.com/user/sharonnsinger

Happy New Translating Year to all ProZeans !

P.S. Could be useful for the current forum thread on how much a translater could expect to manage per day..

[Edited at 2009-12-30 19:14 GMT]

P.P.S. Possibly this talented lady poet and singer is a ProZ member? If so, all the better, she has written our "International Anthem" on how NOT to do it.

[Edited at 2009-12-30 19:45 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:53
English to Japanese
+ ...
Yes, she is a Proz member Dec 31, 2009

British Diana wrote:

An amusing (but bitter-sweet) song called "Five Thousand Words" is sung on You Tube by Sharonn Singer. It is about translating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9KbQyrxSIo
http://www.youtube.com/user/sharonnsinger

Happy New Translating Year to all ProZeans !

P.S. Could be useful for the current forum thread on how much a translater could expect to manage per day..

[Edited at 2009-12-30 19:14 GMT]

P.P.S. Possibly this talented lady poet and singer is a ProZ member? If so, all the better, she has written our "International Anthem" on how NOT to do it.

I swear I saw her picture on Proz home page, Featured Translator a few times.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:53
English to German
+ ...
I have never translated a book but: Dec 31, 2009

I have been illustrating and designing books covers for years, which is why I am familiar with the production process.

The absolute final file is most likely to be with the printing company. Authors aren't much involved in the production process. It is a thing between the publishing company, the typesetter, the artists, the pre-press company and the printing company. I think, the author just wanted to give you an impression of how the book looks like, if it contains photos, illustrations and such. The final corrections usually are handled by the printing company.

I do not think that the author is trying to trick you into buying the book. Since he/she is planning on publishing his/her book in a foreign language = foreign country, he/she most likely has to shop around for a new publisher/graphic designer/printing company as well.

Honestly - I don't see any joke here.

Happy New Year!

icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2009-12-31 08:14 GMT]

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
subject of an old topic Dec 31, 2009

British Diana wrote:

Please see http://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/129229-5000_words_funny_song_about_our_work_by_sharon_neeman.html

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
An eerie feeling Dec 31, 2009

British Diana wrote:

I had an eerie feeling when I first heard this song, and it was reinforced later: namely, that this song conveys (only my opinion) a strong impression of Dust Bowl ballad...

[Edited at 2009-12-31 09:50 GMT]

Jasna Gonda  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
In 10 years of translating no one ever made me buy the original first Dec 31, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I have been illustrating and designing books covers for years, which is why I am familiar with the production process.

The absolute final file is most likely to be with the printing company. Authors aren't much involved in the production process. It is a thing between the publishing company, the typesetter, the artists, the pre-press company and the printing company. I think, the author just wanted to give you an impression of how the book looks like, if it contains photos, illustrations and such. The final corrections usually are handled by the printing company.

I do not think that the author is trying to trick you into buying the book. Since he/she is planning on publishing his/her book in a foreign language = foreign country, he/she most likely has to shop around for a new publisher/graphic designer/printing company as well.

Honestly - I don't see any joke here.

Happy New Year!

icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2009-12-31 08:14 GMT]

British Diana
Germany
German to English
+ ...
a wider public for Sharon's song Dec 31, 2009

Thanks, Stéphanie, for telling us that this song has been referred to on ProZ already. Here - and on You Tube - you can also see the lyrics printed out. It's obviously getting a wider public.

Oh, and one of the comments made on You Tube is that the level of grammar and typing etc. on that particular thread is way above the usual YT standard.

So it's a pat on the back for all translators as it was mostly they who commented on the song.

Happy New Translating Year to Sharon if she is lurking here!

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Click on Buy Dec 31, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:
I do not think that the author is trying to trick you into buying the book.

Well he wrote "click on Buy", so....

United States
English to German
+ ...
@Jasna: "In 10 years of translating no one ever made me buy the original first" Dec 31, 2009

The author didn't ask to buy the book. Some large online stores offer this neat feature: You can thumb through a book without buying it. Then you decide if you like it - or if you would like to translate it, for that matter. You don't have to download the entire thing.

Authors rarely are professional outsourcers. That's what the publishing companies are for.

[Edited at 2009-12-31 10:36 GMT]

United States
English to German
+ ...
As long as you don't type in your credit card information... Dec 31, 2009

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:
I do not think that the author is trying to trick you into buying the book.

Well he wrote "click on Buy", so....

...it doesn't cost you a cent. But you can peruse the book to decide if you like it.

Edited for typo...

[Edited at 2009-12-31 11:33 GMT]

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No no Dec 31, 2009

He did say to click on Buy. Not on peruse. And there was no peruse on that site and for that book.

I know what happened I received the message.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
And more important... Dec 31, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

...it doesn't cost you a cent. But you can peruse the book to decide if you like it.

Edited for typo...

[Edited at 2009-12-31 11:33 GMT]

if you are able to translate it... according to the original intent.

United States
English to German
+ ...
You still have not bought a book by clicking on "Buy" Dec 31, 2009

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

He did say to click on Buy. Not on peruse. And there was no peruse on that site and for that book.

I know what happened I received the message.

Take a look at amazon.com. You will find the feature: "Look inside" with the little arrow. You literally can read entire books without buying them.

This is how it looks like, check out the upper right corner on this page:

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Garden-Books/b/ref=bhp_bb0309A_homgar2?ie=UTF8&node=48&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=browse&pf_rd_r=0F40S45T6C96W96Y3N4M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=506436391&pf_rd_i=283155

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A good joke for New Years's eve

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search