Job offer: is it legit?
Thread poster: David Russi

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 10, 2010

I received this email though my profile, and I guess I just would like to see what other people's reactions would be if they received it, or to know whether anyone has, indeed received it.

I removed the site and the person's last name, but I am sure if you received this message you will recognize it. By the way, while the site in question does exist, I can find no evidence on the web of the person's name, the email address or the IP address indicated by ProZ.

Hello, David. Hola.
I need to translate the web site [sitename]
from from English into Spanish. I’m looking for a
translator to do this job. Please take a look at the site
and read the Main Page and one of the type’s description
because the subject is kind of sex related topic in some
articles. Could you be able to do this job for me, please? (if you
are interested then please provide your rate per word to
translate these materials).
If you are busy for now and do not take any job at this
time period but have an interest into the subject and the
articles, you are always welcome to subscribe for the
materials for your own reading or to send the link of the
site to your friends who might be interested in the subject.
In case of possible work order please reply to me to my
email address which is whomever@yahoo.com
Thanks, Alex {last name]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:30
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I think not. Jan 10, 2010

The second paragraph sounds very suspicious to me - like an attempt to involve you in a viral marketing campaign. That, and the strange sexual references, would suggest you shouldn't even reply to this job offer, especially since the email address is a Yahoo one. At least, I wouldn't.

[Edited at 2010-01-10 16:04 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is the email address a Yahoo address? Jan 10, 2010

Indeed it does look suspicious. Someone genuinely asking for a quotation for a translation would not tell you that you may forward the link to your friends etc. It looks to me that they did not indicate a phone number you can call or their company address, which is another source of concern.

Also, is the source email address a Yahoo address? An agency or business genuinely requiring a translation would use their own domain name, and even if this was a genuine job proposal, you surely want to stay far from people you cannot locate later on, once the translation is delivered.

Personally I would probably ignore the email completely. Looks a bit "scammy".

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:30
English to Japanese
+ ...
Second that Jan 10, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Indeed it does look suspicious. Someone genuinely asking for a quotation for a translation would not tell you that you may forward the link to your friends etc. It looks to me that they did not indicate a phone number you can call or their company address, which is another source of concern.

Also, is the source email address a Yahoo address? An agency or business genuinely requiring a translation would use their own domain name, and even if this was a genuine job proposal, you surely want to stay far from people you cannot locate later on, once the translation is delivered.

Personally I would probably ignore the email completely. Looks a bit "scammy".

I would also avoid this kind of job offer, since it looks suspicious.

However, I am aware that some reputable companies DO use freemail addresses under certain circumstances, and I guess that's because they would enable them to check their incoming emails when out of their office, and I understand the convenience of being able to do so. But I would try to avoid this kind of a job offer, unless that agency is an outsourcer I have worked for before. That's the only exception.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
and the website is theirs? Jan 10, 2010

David Russi wrote:

By the way, while the site in question does exist, I can find no evidence on the web of the person's name, the email address or the IP address indicated by ProZ.

So, is the website indeed sex-related and does it give no idea of company name, address or anything else that could help you to identify it? In this case, it's quite possible they don't even own the site!

Whatever, I've heard enough - I'd give it a miss and I wouldn't reply to turn it down, either. That may be all they're looking for (a verified email address to send their spam to).

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Jan 10, 2010

Just to clarify: I never had any intention of responding, the email reeks of scam any way I look at it, and my real interest was in knowing whether others had received it, or I was singled out because I am so special. (I have NO experience whatsoever in this field, BTW).

The site does indeed exist, (bilingual, EN/RU) and is even somewhat interesting, but I seriously doubt if it belongs to this person.

I find it so sad to have to mistrust the world by default...

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Not the world, but... Jan 10, 2010

one would distrust Moby Dick by default, no?

David Russi wrote:

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Trust Jan 10, 2010

David Russi wrote:

"It's good to trust people. It's even better not to." (Italian saying, attributed to Camillo Cavour)

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:30
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please submit a support request with the IP Jan 10, 2010

Hi David,

This does, indeed, look like spam. Since you apparently received this through ProZ.com, it would be a good idea to let Site staff know what the IP is, so they can take action to make sure that others aren't as "blessed" with that message, too.

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Always trust - unless ... Jan 10, 2010

David Russi wrote:

Always trust people unless there is reason to mistrust them. I think that in this case there is.

xxxAguas de Mar
or, like Reagan said... Jan 11, 2010

... "trust, but verify."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job offer: is it legit?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search