Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Do you really know your job/market, as a pro? (10k wds, legal, 5 langs: How much, via agency?)
Thread poster: Eleftherios Kritikakis

Eleftherios Kritikakis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:57
Member (2003)
Greek to English
+ ...
Jan 11, 2010

Since you' re all claiming to be professionals here, I'll ask a question for professionals.

I have a 10,000 word legal document and I would like to translate it from English, through a reputable agency, into 5 languages:
German, French, Spanish, Italian, Polish.
I would like one agency only to take all languages and deliver five proofread PDFs.

How much will it cost me?

I understand that agencies may have different prices, can you give me a reasonably accurate range?

(all professionals in all fiends know how much things cost in their markets - I asked insurance professionals how much car and home insurance is, they told me immediately, all of them. I asked plumpers how much this and that, they told me, with very small variations - I also asked real estate agents to give me an idea about home prices, they told me - I asked stock brockers to tell me fees of different stock companies, they were very accurate without even looking at papers - why is it that translators are the only "professionals" (whatever...) who do not know how much an agency would change to translate a document?). Would you ever call someone a professional if he didn't know the prices in his market?

I also understand that agencies have websites and contact numbers and you could call them and ask them about that. Could you please call two or three of them and ask them?

Thank you


[Edited at 2010-01-12 04:01 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-01-12 15:54 GMT]


Direct link
 

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:57
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
6000-7000 Euro Jan 11, 2010

My guess would be around 6000-7000 euro for the translation.
Additional proofreading will cost you extra.


Direct link
 

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:57
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Depends on what you actually want Jan 11, 2010

You do not provide enough information for a reputable translation company to give you a meaningful answer.

- What's your deadline?
- Could the translations in the various languages be delivered one at a time, or do you need all the different translation by the same deadline?
(Depending on your answers to these first two questions, rush charges may or may not apply, for one or more languages)
- What's the source format of your document? (Scanned documents or hard-copy document would normally cost more)
- What's the target format of your document? (If the source document is a scanned pdf or hard-copy, do you need the original layout to be preserved? Do you need a special layout to be created using DTP? - if so, additional charges would apply for layout and DTP)
- Who is the target user of your document? (Is your document to be used internally, for information purposes only? is this legal document a contract that should stand up in court in different jurisdictions? is it a patent application? if so does it need to be filed in one or more different patent offices? is this a legal document that should be presented as evidence in one or more jurisdictions?)
- Do you also want the translation to be edited and/or proof-read?
- Do you need your document to also be converted into an electronic document (such as a pdf?) into a web site? a dynamic web site?
- Do you want the translation company to also compile a glossary for your translation?
- Should the translation of this legal document be certified? if so, for which languages? Should it also be notarized?


Direct link
 

Eleftherios Kritikakis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:57
Member (2003)
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was simple enough Jan 11, 2010

Yes, of course proofread. The same way a car that makes it in the dealership show room ready to be sold to a consumer has been tested by the factory. I think that's implied for a consumer.

Source is a word document, target a PDF (easy conversion) delivered by email. No web, no formatting, nothing else, only the title is bold, please no unecessary questions, I'm just a consumer and I'm asking how much I'll have to pay (approximately +/- 10%).

Deadline one month.

It's none of anyone's business who's the end user. It's mine. Whether it will be notarized or certified that's my business AFTER I buy it from the agency.

So, what's the price? Approximately?

Anyone?


Direct link
 

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:57
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
As far as I know... Jan 11, 2010

about EUR 13,000.

Is that correct?


Direct link
 
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:57
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
You could be more polite Jan 11, 2010

We are "claiming" to be professionals? I was going to stop reading right there, but I'll help you understand why we might not know. Freelance translators know how much a freelance translator could charge. Agencies' prices also include project management, DTP, QA and their margins, and larger agencies rarely publish their prices for whatever reason. It's not translators' fault and it doesn't make them any less professional.

Direct link
 

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:57
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
agree Jan 11, 2010

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

You could be more polite


second that


Direct link
 

Eleftherios Kritikakis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:57
Member (2003)
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Requirements... Jan 12, 2010

Knowledge about your market is required if you want to be called a pro. A neighbor asks you "I have an old certificate that I want to translate, do you know how much it'll cost, approximately", you want to be able to give them an answer. You can't say "well, I have no idea but I'm polite and that's enough".

It's easy to find out agency prices: Send them a document for a "free quote" and there you have it.
How many have ever done this?

Or are we just polite people who have no idea about the most basic element of their industry, which is the actual price of the product?


Direct link
 

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:57
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
I don't claim to be professional - I am one Jan 12, 2010

despite that I see no reason why should I know how much "reputable agencies" charge for English to French translation and proofreading or how they calculate cost of project management in case of multilingual projects.

Frankly speaking it would be much better idea to ask these questions on a forum for translation agencies not one for freelancers.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Edited to add:

The main product I offer is high quality English to Polish translation of legal documents. I don't deal with other language pairs neither with DTP or project management. I have only rough knowledge of prices of such services. Still I see no reason why would it make me unprofessional. I neither sell not buy such services, why should I bother?

[Edited at 2010-01-12 00:13 GMT]


Direct link
 

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:57
French to English
+ ...
I'm not sure your premise is true Jan 12, 2010

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:
why is it that translators are the only "professionals" (whatever...) who do not know how much an agency would change to translate a document?). Would you ever call someone a professional if he didn't know the prices in his market?


I wonder what makes you assert this in the first place?


Direct link
 

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:57
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
7,000 euros Jan 12, 2010

I agree with Lutz. Most of the agencies I work with bill their clients between .20 and .22 a word.

50,000 x .20 = US$10,000 or around 6,900 euros (low because of the current poor exchange rate).


Lutz Molderings wrote:

My guess would be around 6000-7000 euro for the translation.
Additional proofreading will cost you extra.


[Edited at 2010-01-12 00:59 GMT]


Direct link
 

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Forgive me, but... Jan 12, 2010

Eleftherios, you wrote:

I also understand that agencies have websites and contact numbers and you could call them and ask them about that. Could you please call two or three of them and ask them?


Unless I'm missing something, is there any reason you can't do this yourself?



Direct link
 
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:57
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
... Jan 12, 2010

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:

Knowledge about your market is required if you want to be called a pro. A neighbor asks you "I have an old certificate that I want to translate, do you know how much it'll cost, approximately", you want to be able to give them an answer. You can't say "well, I have no idea but I'm polite and that's enough".


I have a very good idea how much I or other freelancers could charge.

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:
It's easy to find out agency prices: Send them a document for a "free quote" and there you have it.
How many have ever done this?


Well, exactly. Why don't you do so yourself instead of asking and insulting others? I don't need to know that, because I don't need translations into other languages.

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:
Or are we just polite people who have no idea about the most basic element of their industry, which is the actual price of the product?


Freelance translators provide only part of the product and they know how much that part costs. It is the most important part, and in many cases it is sufficient. But when you have a multilingual project with DTP, you need more services than we normally provide. And we don't care how much they cost, because project management or DTP aren't our job (usually).


Direct link
 

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:57
German to English
+ ...
Professional translators Jan 12, 2010

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:

I also understand that agencies have websites and contact numbers and you could call them and ask them about that. Could you please call two or three of them and ask them?

Thank you


You come here and tell us what professionalism is, and then have to state the obvious "that agencies have websites and contact numbers" and THEN ask professionals to call some for you? Pretty incredible. It reminds me of Tom Sawyer bamboozling his friends into whitewashing the fence because he's too lazy to do it himself.

Professional translators, of which you claim to be one, also do their own research on suitable agencies to outsource / award contracts to. If you paid to be a member here, you could easily use the Blue Board, which has thousands of addresses in one convenient place, thus saving time because you wouldn't have to come into the forums and deal with colleagues you seem to disdain.


Edited to add: Ok, so you are a paying member, what's stopping you from using the Blue Board?

[Edited at 2010-01-12 01:38 GMT]


Direct link
 
Nadejda Vega Cespedes  Identity Verified

Local time: 19:57
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
What am I missing? Jan 12, 2010

All professionals (even plumpers! who knew it was a profession?) know how much things cost in their markets. You claim to be a professional. Why, again, do you need to ask the question?

Direct link
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you really know your job/market, as a pro? (10k wds, legal, 5 langs: How much, via agency?)

Advanced search







SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search