Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Agency´s request of TMs
Thread poster: Maria Teresa Velez
Maria Teresa Velez  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:59
English to Spanish
Jan 12, 2010

I had worked for an agency during 2 years in a very specialized topic of which I am an expert. This year I got a message telling me that "by mistake" they had given someone the job (whic is recurrent) this year, and they asked me to send them the most recent TM.
I was hired by them to translate and not for generating TMs.
Any feedback?

Direct link Reply with quote

Rifraf
Local time: 15:59
Win Align Jan 12, 2010

Your the owner of the TM. They can WinAlign the old translations and thus create a TM on their own. You are not required to make the TM available to them.

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 16:59
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
I would not share it in this case Jan 12, 2010

In my opinion, since the agency is managing the project (long term, recurrent), the agency should maintain an updated TM of their own, it's part of the PM's job. Of course, since they chose to give the project to a new translator, they should be able to offer that translator all the resources necessary to do the job. They, the agency, not you
Managing and maintaining a TM is not a free service, you are entitled to compensation for such services, especially if the agency does not manage a TM for their client or they failed to do that in this case.

Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
By mistake Jan 12, 2010

Dmitrie Highduke  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Tell them Jan 12, 2010

Tell them that you have one TM for several projects (including their ones), so you just can't share all the projects.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:59
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Tell them... Jan 12, 2010

that, unfortunately, you deleted the TM "by mistake"...

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I'd send them the TM Jan 12, 2010

I'm surprised they never asked for it before.

We may argue about IP rights till the Sun goes down, and I know for a fact that we wouldn't be able to decide if they have a legal right to the TMs, but the bottom line is that they can always align the translations if you decline. If you force them to do that, don't expect much more work from the company in the future.

If you want to try and blackmail them into giving you the job they have already assigned to somebody else by holding the TM hostage, go ahead and try. It may work, but I myself don't operate in that fashion.

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
no way Jan 12, 2010

Hm, a 'reputable' agency makes 'mistakes' and ask me to help them out, right? And instead of correcting the mistake they ask me to collaborate for free?

It has *NOTHiNG* to do with IP or my job for I've already done my part.
So, it's *NOT* my task/ job to provide all their new translators with TM.

Let the other translator show his capabilities or make the order and I'll see what I can do)

Cheers

[Edited at 2010-01-12 14:24 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Humor... Jan 12, 2010

Flip a coin: heads they win, tails you loose...

Seriously, and although I agree with FarkasAndras upon the fact that they may interpret this attitude as blackmailing, I would not send them the TM. They do not only contain words but, as a colleague (Astrid Johnson) stated it, they are the expression of your very own way of approaching translations in a field in which you are expert. This is invaluable and it is not only a matter of IP.

And yes, the agency can align the ST and TT - so what? It does not give the translator doing the job "by mistake" any crumble of your insight.

[Edited at 2010-01-12 14:41 GMT]

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
What were your deliverables in the past? Jan 12, 2010

Were they requiring you to use a CAT tool, and did they require the bilingual files too, as a deliverable? If so, they can generate a TM. It is much easier than aligning source and target files.
Dimitrie's argument is good: you may very well have more than their translations in your TM.
If you still have the bilingual files and they don't have them, you may - at best - offer to send them the bilingual files that you have.

France
French to German
+ ...
Thereby hangs a tale... Jan 12, 2010

http://ginstrom.com/scribbles/2007/09/05/can-translation-agencies-get-too-greedy/

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Member (2009)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
They should have maintained TM themselves Jan 12, 2010

They got your deliverables and could create and update their TM with every your translation. Not doing so was their mistake, not yours.

You may create a new TM, update it with some latest projects and state that "it is all you have now", and both of you will be happy.

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Is TM a subject to call? Jan 12, 2010

Double "NO" hardly ever can make single "YES"... It's more like stammering.
Any translator *must* send all the required data at a moment's notice from an Agency because _______________ ?

I see no good reason to do it... unless by mistake)
For all I see is they chose another random translator by chance.

France
French to German
+ ...
Or... Jan 12, 2010

DZiW wrote:

Double "NO" hardly ever can make single "YES"... It's more like stammering.
Any translator *must* send all the required data at a moment's notice from an Agency because _______________ ?

I see no good reason to do it... unless by mistake)
For all I see is they chose another random translator by chance.

out of greed, as explained in the blog post to which my link leads;).

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Give them the memory Jan 12, 2010

I would give them the memory, and for two very good reasons:

A. By giving them the memory, you are saying that you are not affraid of losing them as a customer in the long run, because the important factors here are your know-how in the matter at hand, the quality of your work and your general ability as a translator, not the terminology that can be taken from a memory's concordance. If you are good at this subject, they cannot simply replace you by using your memory: another translator will always produce bad translations and they will notice very soon.

B. After all, if they intentionally gave the job to another person and the other person performs adequately, you have lost a customer and holding the memory will not help you recover it; if the other translator does not perform, you will have shown a cooperative attitude by giving them the memory and will easily recover the customer in the medium term.

Good luck!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency´s request of TMs

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search