Thread poster: Tasshaa Springord

Tasshaa Springord
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:13
English to Amharic
+ ...
Jan 13, 2010

Hi everyone,

I wondered if you can help me with this rather legal question.

I have agreed to translate thousands of words for this agency preparing to publish a dictionary. I was also asked to give permission to site my name as the translator on the book cover.

My question is this, what are the legal implications of giving the permission to have my name sited as the translator? should I be entitled to a percentage of all revenue generated?

I noticed that they have already started advertising to sell the dictionary.

Thank you in advance for your help

Regards,

Tsehay

Direct link Reply with quote

inmb  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:13
English to Polish
+ ...
moral vs economic rights Jan 13, 2010

Hi

Placing your name on the book cover is your moral right. It is independent of any financial interest you may have.

Your entitlement to royalties depends on the details of your contract. You have to check if you are to receive a lump sum or royalties based on generated sales or perhaps advance payment recoupable against future royalties.

HTH

Tasshaa Springord
United Kingdom
English to Amharic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 13, 2010

Thank you inmb:-)

Karen W  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
how much can a translator demand? Jan 14, 2010

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. They are questions that I have also asked myself in the past. What I would like to know is what type of demands can the translator make in terms of royalties. I presume these demands can only be made with the publishers of a book. In the past I have translated a book not through the publishers but the author, with a lump-sum payment through academic funding. In this type of case how does the translator go about asking for royalties? Many thanks for any advice.
Karen

urbom
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
search previous threads Jan 14, 2010

Karen W wrote:

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. They are questions that I have also asked myself in the past. What I would like to know is what type of demands can the translator make in terms of royalties. I presume these demands can only be made with the publishers of a book. In the past I have translated a book not through the publishers but the author, with a lump-sum payment through academic funding. In this type of case how does the translator go about asking for royalties? Many thanks for any advice.
Karen

If you do a search for "royalties" in the discussion forums you'll find some previous discussions on this topic, such as these:
http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/149602-what_percentage_should_i_ask_for_book_translation.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/139457-the_translation_of_books_should_i_receive_a_percentage_on_the_copies_sold.html

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
translators are not entitled to royalties, usually Jan 14, 2010

From my experience (both as writer and translator for various technical publishers) translation contracts state a fixed sum (one third upon signature, one third upon delivery of the translation, one third when the book is published. That's all. No royalties.
As an author, you don't get these nice amounts (or less), but you are entitled to royalties, i.e. paid proportionnally to the sales of your book.
From my personal experience, it was less profitable to write than to translate, it highly depends on the distribution policy... which you don't control.
Note also that your name on the book is not only a "permission" that you give. It may be also an interesting advertising for you. You can mention that in your profile, Web site, etc.

Karen W  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
no fixed rule it would seem Jan 14, 2010

Having looked at the old forums and in particular at the link http://www.ceatl.org/docs/surveyuk.pdf it seems that there is no fixed rule, with variations from country to country as well as within countries (in particular in Italy where it would seem fixed agreements are lacking). Unfortunately, however, the link makes for anything but comforting reading... once again proving the lack of regard for our profession...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

entitlement to royalties

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search