Eleftherios Kritikakis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:39
Member (2003)
Greek to English
+ ...
Jan 15, 2010

A very interesting article by CNN Money:
http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/15/technology/internet_media_diet.moneymag/index.htm
with title "The Internet ruined my life"

When I was a child in Greece, I remember than in villages the most vibrant places were the coffee shops (lots of people, talking, debating politics, playing card games, etc).

Today I see the "zombie culture". I walk in a cafe (such as Starbucks) and I see all these silent young people who are also known by their Native American name "Socializes with laptops".
Also, they live under the assumption that they "have friends" because they click on people's faces and other people click on theirs. I have been in funerals that were more festive than that. What a boring generation...

Web and email overuse will simply destroy our bodies over time, and probably our eyes and our minds, and any chance for true human/social contact.

Yes, this is a business issue, because it does affect our business (amount of emails, interruptions, miscommunications due to email overuse, "social networks" which are not social at all, etc).

You could help others by posting, briefly, your thoughts and your methods in avoiding such destructive overuse. What have you done to reduce the amount you sit on a chair in front of glowing rectangular objects?

Monika Elisabeth Sieger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:39
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
I started writing letters again and call friends Jan 15, 2010

It is the same as with television: people lose their verbal ability to communicate on a regular basis.
I am afraid we are some kind of dinosaurs!
My husband is addicted to this as well as he is a software architect. But in the evening we have strict rules on TV and Internet useage.
And we go out for a walk and meet friends.
It depends a little bit on the environment you are living in: if you are more active you need to talk to people. Others, who work concentrated with the computer will have a different attitude. I was and am used to talk and discuss a lot: as a lawyer you have to communicate verbally and this can become an addiction.
But give it a go: Talk to these zombies. You will be stonished how happy they are to be interrupted and will even start talking and smiling again!

Eleftherios Kritikakis  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The zombies Jan 15, 2010

"Talk to these zombies."

Personally I'm not interested (they' re a different generation, different age and interests), but I'm wondering, why don't they talk to each other?
There they are, in a cafe, 20 young people (men and women), and instead of introducing themselves to each other, they are too busy introducing themselves to other people on the internet, because they think that this is the way they will meet people, and they completely ignore the ones right in front of them!!!
Wake up! There's people right in front of you, in the same cafe!

As a matter of fact I think that they are afraid to talk (for the same reason many people are afraid to write in this forum, because some others may "disagree"... big deal! - disagreement is necessay and a vital part of our society and our nervous system).

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I'm 47... Jan 15, 2010

and I talk to plenty of young people and teenagers... my daughter's friends + youngsters in the pub... I live in asmall town, though...

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:39
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Email filtering Jan 15, 2010

I certainly agree with you that there's a problem!

My only recent change to try to decrease the obsession was to create filters for my email, so that regular posts from groups, etc., go into folders, rather than the inbox itself. Kudoz, for example. That way I can ignore them more easily until I decide to look at Kudoz.

I'm still addicted though. Take the fact that I am writing this message right now...

Susan

[Edited at 2010-01-15 18:05 GMT]

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Giovanni, you are aging well! Jan 15, 2010

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

and I talk to plenty of young people and teenagers... my daughter's friends + youngsters in the pub... I live in asmall town, though...

From your photo I might easily have guessed ten years less. Perhaps real social contact with people of various ages and backgrounds is one of the secrets of youth, no?
icon_smile.gif

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let's fight back! Jan 15, 2010

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:
Also, they live under the assumption that they "have friends" because they click on people's faces and other people click on theirs. I have been in funerals that were more festive than that. What a boring generation...

Let's fight that back. When you come to Madrid next time Eleftherios, do make sure to email me a couple of days before. I will try my best to take you to an annoyingly noisy Spanish bar... with no WiFi connection.

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
The first step for me was to shoot a few swans Jan 15, 2010

Actually, a friend shot them for me, since I can't do that legally until later this year. I cut off their wings, pulled the long feathers, and I'll cut them into quills and start writing again as I did when I lived like a monk in my college days. I think I'll skip the vows of chastity, but I will enjoy the feel of a proper writing instrument again.

In the meanwhile I have turned off the auto-check function on e-mail. Too distracting. I check my mail a few times a day now when I feel like it's time for a break.

A certain amount of socializing with laptops is inevitable because of our profession and the great distance from most of my family, but I've got three dogs to keep me socialized. Taking care of their needs brings me into contact with as many people as I would care to see in a day.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Poor SWANS! Jan 15, 2010

Kevin Lossner wrote:
Actually, a friend shot them for me, since I can't do that legally until later this year.

I think we could not be good friends if you go around killing SWANS (Socially-Wrecked Addicted Network Surfer). Poor things!

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
If this socializing with laptops is instead of real socializing Jan 15, 2010

than it is very sad. However if it is instead of doing the same in an office than it is quite a good idea - at least change of ambiance...

cenico
Brazil
Spanish to English
+ ...
decay in face to face relations Jan 15, 2010

very true, the comment from the Greek translator....
we are becoming a faceless society, the other day I met a young lady in Natal, Brasil. When I asked her for her email , she said ~I dont have an email account~What a pleasant surprise , I thought. Someone who really prefers to talk to people....
I am writing a book about poverty in Latin America...some of this will be included as a true ~positive~
nico

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Well, our job is quite demanding, but, in answer to what I do... Jan 15, 2010

sometimes I invite people round in the afternoon for Kaffee und Kuchen, and that gives me an excuse to bake something.

Other offline activities are shopping, housework and so on.

I would like to spend more time away from the computer. I guess one day, when I can translate twice as fast as I can now, it might be possible...

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
That's the way it is Jan 16, 2010

Society is changing at a fast pace. Imagine if their were no laptops. Then these people would always sit at home, never even going anywhere.
For many it's love at first e-mail, not love at first sight any more. The same delusion still.
In the old times it were pen-friends, no we don't use pens or typewriters.
Nobody knows, where the journey is heading, but did we ever?

Regards
Heinrich

Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
At least he shot them first ... Jan 16, 2010

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Actually, a friend shot them for me, since I can't do that legally until later this year. I cut off their wings, pulled the long feathers, and I'll cut them into quills and start writing again as I did when I lived like a monk in my college days. I think I'll skip the vows of chastity, but I will enjoy the feel of a proper writing instrument again.

In the meanwhile I have turned off the auto-check function on e-mail. Too distracting. I check my mail a few times a day now when I feel like it's time for a break.

A certain amount of socializing with laptops is inevitable because of our profession and the great distance from most of my family, but I've got three dogs to keep me socialized. Taking care of their needs brings me into contact with as many people as I would care to see in a day.

I'm surprised you use swans' feathers. I find goose quills best myself ...
Re faceless internet contacts, I know two couples who met their beloved through the net. The beloved eventually indeed became a face - and so much more! So it's not all bad. Those people would probably never have met otherwise.
Ever the romantic,
Jenny

[Edited at 2010-01-16 08:57 GMT]

Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
German to English
Paradox? Jan 16, 2010

Is this the safest place to launch an attack on people who communicate via the internet?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internet and Email Overuse

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search