Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Doubts about a new client - how can I find out more about their financial situation, etc?
Thread poster: Carla Davidson
Carla Davidson
Carla Davidson  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you William Feb 2, 2010

William Pawlowsky wrote:

“Disintegrating Digital Fences: Finding Business Information in Ukraine and its Neighbouring Countries”, February 5, 2004, No. 153
http://www.freepint.com/issues/050204.htm #tips (Accessed February 4, 2004)

Dear William,

Many thanks for posting this reference, it is much appreciated!

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, this job has been postponed and I don't see it re-surfacing somehow but I will keep the link to your article on file should I come across any other companies in Eastern Europe.

Thanks again,

Carla

Rifraf
Rifraf
Local time: 06:11
Worst case scenario Feb 2, 2010

carla123 wrote:
I am now in the situation where I am waiting to hear from them and want to stick to my guns on the 50% advance payment but at the same time don't want to lose out on the job if they tell me they can only pay 30%. If I confirm the job, I intend to work on it with another person to get it finished on time so I would not want to end up not getting paid for it and let down the person I will be working with on this.

In a worst case scenario you will only get paid 30% of the total amount, which you then have to split with your co-translator.
So if you can take the risk, and 30% of the total amount is still worth your while, you can take the chance; otherwise I would let this "job opportunity" slip, since there are so many untrustworthy companies out there - especially in countries in which it is almost impossible to retrieve your money.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:11
French to German
+ ...
In some cases... Feb 2, 2010

Rifraf wrote:
So if you can take the risk, and 30% of the total amount is still worth your while, you can take the chance; otherwise I would let this "job opportunity" slip, since there are so many untrustworthy companies out there - especially in countries in which it is almost impossible to retrieve your money.

it is even impossible to retrieve your money within the EU - the "customer" just has to wait until one writes their fees off as experience.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Doubts about a new client - how can I find out more about their financial situation, etc?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »