https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/15704-vat_and_invoicing_regulations_in_italy.html

VAT and invoicing regulations in Italy
Thread poster: Kitti Moonli (X)
Kitti Moonli (X)
Kitti Moonli (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:39
French to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2003

Hi

I have recently moved to Italy and am about to invoice for the first job I have done since getting here. The agency I did the work for is in Luxembourg. Do I need to show VAT on my invoice?

I saw that the topic of VAT re EU was brought up a while ago, but I wasn't clear from it about charging VAT between EU countries.

Also, if anyone can suggest where I can find information on tax and vat rules and regulations and what I need to be doing to keep my pap
... See more
Hi

I have recently moved to Italy and am about to invoice for the first job I have done since getting here. The agency I did the work for is in Luxembourg. Do I need to show VAT on my invoice?

I saw that the topic of VAT re EU was brought up a while ago, but I wasn't clear from it about charging VAT between EU countries.

Also, if anyone can suggest where I can find information on tax and vat rules and regulations and what I need to be doing to keep my paperwork correctly for Italy, it would be most appreciated.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Unlikely Nov 11, 2003

Hi Kitti,
On a general note, you should always discuss these issues with your tax advisor.

This issue has been discussed in a number of threads recently, including:

www.proz.com/topic/15403
www.proz.com/topic/15041 (I take it this is the one you refer to - Par
... See more
Hi Kitti,
On a general note, you should always discuss these issues with your tax advisor.

This issue has been discussed in a number of threads recently, including:

www.proz.com/topic/15403
www.proz.com/topic/15041 (I take it this is the one you refer to - Parrot posted a link to the EU website.)

If your customer is a business (and this should be evidenced by the fact that they provide you with a valid EU VAT ID - you can check it here), you probably need not charge VAT. Make sure to check any particular regulations that might apply in Luxembourg and/or Italy.

HTH - Ralf
Collapse

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Hi Kitty Nov 11, 2003

If you have your own Italian VAT no. as a freelance translator you MUST NOT calculate VAT on the invoices for non-Italian customers.

Regards,

Sabina

Kitti Moonli (X)
Kitti Moonli (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And if I have no Italian VAT no? Nov 11, 2003

Does this mean that if I have no Italian VAT no, I should be charging VAT?

What is the threshold at which I should/it is worth obtaining an Italian VAT no?

It seems from the other recent threads and associated links that I shouldn't be charging VAT because the agency is VAT registered.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT and invoicing regulations in Italy

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »