Please mention your choice- a local agency or an expert freelance translator/interpreter
Thread poster: PRAKAASH

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:54
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Feb 10, 2010

Hi Friends,

I was curious to know from any number of Proz friends of their opinions, if they would have been direct client, whom would they have preferred- a local agency or a freelancer/s for their specific work or assignment.

If possible, please mention why/why not as well.

I request respected agencies not to take it otherwise, this is question based merely on the curiosity. Oh my work!

Take care!

: PRAKAASH

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:24
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
for 1 language pair Feb 11, 2010

most likely a freelance translator, for multiple language pairs translation agency.

I would also consider TA even in case of a single language pair if I needed service including for instance DTP.

Btw. in most cases it wouldn't matter if the agency is local or no.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

keelin feeney  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 09:24
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably the agency... Feb 11, 2010

If I was the direct client, I would probably use an agency unless a particular freelancer was recommended to me by someone. I imagine I would prefer the agency/freelancer to be local as they are easier to reach, and especially if I have to explain how I want the document and want to speak to them by phone on a regular basis.

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:24
French to English
+ ...
The independent professional Feb 11, 2010

If I were a direct client, I would most definitely prefer working with an independent professional over an agency. Here, in no particular order, is a selection of reasons why:

- I get to choose the professional to whom I am going to entrust my important documents, and hence my image and reputation. When you choose an agency, you don't choose the translator, and usually, you don't even know who is actually doing the project. If I had to have surgery, I surely would want to choose my surgeon, not just the hospital who would hand the scalpel over to whomever was available.

- I prefer to have a contract with the person doing the work. When working with an agency, there are two concurrent and distinct contracts, where potential conflicts of interest are inherent.

- Successful projects require detailed specs and dialog. We all know the bamboo telephone game we played as kids, where the message passed from the first person was completely transformed by the time it got to the last person. As a client, my business and my reputation depend on the translator understanding my needs, objectives and worries. I need to be able to talk to that person to make sure he/she understands and I want to be able to answer any doubts or questions they may have.

- If I am happy with the outcome of an initial project, I would like to keep working with the same person. The more we know each other, the better we can work together. With an agency, I have no guarantee that this will be possible.

- "Birds of a feather flock together": in case of large or multilingual projects, top professionals know and work with other top professionals. They wouldn't run the risk of ruining their own reputations by recommending a colleague who could not perform to the standards "my" translator has accustomed me to.

- A professional translator knows how to say "no": no, this is beyond my range; no, the time allotted is insufficient to do a good job; no, my schedule doesn't permit it right now, can we reschedule? An agency always says yes, and then scurries around to get the work done.

There are many other reasons, and I'm sure colleagues will add to this list.

Patricia

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Local time: 11:24
Member (2009)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
It depends... Feb 11, 2010

Actually there a 2 point in this:

- quality and reliability
- price

Hiring a freelancer is a more cost-effective option, but the problem is how you find out that the resulting translation will meet your requirements? I've checked thousands of tests and can state that 90% of applicants cannot meet high quality requirements, even though if they can provide you reference etc. (let us be honest, not all customers can really professionally evaluate the translator's work)

As for the agency, a respectable translation company will select and check the translator's qualification by investing time, efforts and money into the strict selection process, so it will definitely lower the probability of getting poor translation. Also, if you have regular workflow, you need to be sure that the translator is all-time-available, which is easier to achieve with translation agency. Also in translation agency the work is normally checked by the second linguist and undergoes quality ensurance processes, while with freelancers you have to rely upon 1 person. But of course this applies only to well-established and reputable companies.

So it is like a lottery. A very good freelancer may be a perfect option, but there are not many of them, and it takes time and efforts (which is money) to find a really suitable person. You can get a good freelancer for cheaper price, and the chances are lower, or you can go to a good agency for higher prices but with more chances to get a really good translation.

Or make this way: give some short (around 150 words) test both to agencies and freelancers, and then hire someone to evaluate the translations in order to compare them, and then you can make your own decision.

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:54
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
another curiosity Feb 11, 2010

Vladimir Kukharenko wrote:

Or make this way: give some short (around 150 words) test both to agencies and freelancers, and then hire someone to evaluate the translations in order to compare them, and then you can make your own decision.

How about if agency also manages to give best translation by hiring best translator for 150 words and providing best translation & then going for cheap and quality-less stuffs later on? Please share your ideas regarding same.

: PRAKAASH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please mention your choice- a local agency or an expert freelance translator/interpreter

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search