Massive translation project courtesy of Toyota?
Thread poster: Alex Farrell

Alex Farrell  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:48
Japanese to English
Feb 17, 2010

Check out this article from the AP.

Remember about 10 months ago when there was mountains upon mountains of translation work because Panasonic had to turn in English translations of all its documentation regarding batteries to the U.S. government after it bought out Sanyo and made it a subsidiary? (At least, that was the situation as I understood it.) Well, we might be seeing tons of job ads for translating documents on Toyota's brakes soon.

During the Sanyo project I refused most of the work because the rates were ridiculous, the lowest of which I saw was US0.02 per target word. However, I did take work from one agency that paid US$0.12 regardless of repetitions, so that was nice. In fact, I should email them and see what they think of this situation.

So, what do you think will happen? Will it be Sanyo/Panasonic all over again or will things be different somehow?

Direct link Reply with quote

aiaiushi
United States
Local time: 02:48
Japanese
working on it Apr 16, 2010

Yes, it's Pana/Sanyo all over again. TONS of work!

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:48
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Be careful Apr 18, 2010

Just be careful your computer doesn't start translating all by itself and you're not able to stop it.

icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2010-04-18 10:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Massive translation project courtesy of Toyota?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search