Massive translation project courtesy of Toyota?
Thread poster: Alex Farrell

Alex Farrell  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:03
Japanese to English
Feb 17, 2010

Check out this article from the AP.

Remember about 10 months ago when there was mountains upon mountains of translation work because Panasonic had to turn in English translations of all its documentation regarding batteries to the U.S. government after it bought out Sanyo and made it a subsidiary? (At least, that was the situation as I understood it.) Well, we might be seeing tons of job ads for translating documents on Toyota's brakes soon.

During the Sanyo project I refused most of the work because the rates were ridiculous, the lowest of which I saw was US0.02 per target word. However, I did take work from one agency that paid US$0.12 regardless of repetitions, so that was nice. In fact, I should email them and see what they think of this situation.

So, what do you think will happen? Will it be Sanyo/Panasonic all over again or will things be different somehow?

aiaiushi
United States
Local time: 09:03
Japanese
working on it Apr 16, 2010

Yes, it's Pana/Sanyo all over again. TONS of work!

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:03
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Be careful Apr 18, 2010

Just be careful your computer doesn't start translating all by itself and you're not able to stop it.

icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2010-04-18 10:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Massive translation project courtesy of Toyota?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search