Thread poster: Malgorzata Piotrowska
Malgorzata Piotrowska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:51
English to Polish
+ ...
Feb 23, 2010

Hello.

I offered my services to a publishing company and they have just sent me a sample of 1653 words...
I am just wondering if this is not too big... Here, at ProZ.com, samples are much smaller.
What do you think?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:51
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
far too much Feb 23, 2010

Why don't you offer to do a sample of the first 300 words, and if they are happy, then finish off the rest as a paid job, agreeing on advance on rates and terms.

That's what I'd do.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Far too much Feb 23, 2010

Emma's advice is very sensible. I would however reduce the amount to 200, which is more than enough to know whether you are a suitable professional for the customer's purposes.

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
portfolio Feb 23, 2010

Indeed, it's x4 larger than usual. Even a short paragraph should do to understand who you're dealing with. On the other hand I've encountered different customers who just wanted to see one's portfolio in the specified field - already done piece of a tabled job about an A4 page. Certainly there's a risk of sample being 'borrowed' from someone else (as a rule a bit more experienced), but the trust is the first thing to start with IMO.

Anyway I think it's more civilized and no harm done to both parties)

Cheers

[Edited at 2010-02-23 18:22 GMT]

United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Feb 23, 2010

Thank you all very much.
I'll follow Emma's and Tomás' advice.

[Edited at 2010-02-23 18:48 GMT]

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:51
German to English
Is this a literary translation? Feb 23, 2010

Literary translation samples tend to be longer than normal translation tests, as they require a demonstration of style and feeling for the text.

United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no, Feb 23, 2010

it is a book about direct selling.

Berelis (Eng.)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:51
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Far too large Feb 23, 2010

Agree totally with Emma. Regards

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:51
English to Japanese
+ ...
This ain't no soup kitchen! Feb 24, 2010

I've never heard of that much of a sample to translate. When I first saw the topic, I thought the agency sent a sample text to 'evaluate' the contents, not translate. Malgorzata, are you sure they asked you to do a free trial of the sample they sent you?

United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am sure Feb 24, 2010

it is a sample to be translated for free.
I emailed them yesterday saying that I was happy to produce a sample of 200 words and today they got down to about 900 words. They also want me to send them a few pages from my portfolio.
They say it's difficult to judge whether someone is suitable for their project having only a 200 word sample.

Rifraf
test translations spoil the market Feb 24, 2010

Malgorzata Piotrowska wrote:
They say it's difficult to judge whether someone is suitable for their project having only a 200 word sample.

Sure...

They just want a translation for free! Perhaps they have asked several translators, so that in the end the have 1 whole translation to sell!

Good agencies will always pay for a test translation AND they will never mention to you that it concerns a test translation... How can they otherwise assess your work in all fairness?

Can you just imagine asking your hair dresser to cut half of your hair for free, just so that you can assess if he can actually cut someone's hair? And at the bakery I want to eat half a loaf of bread for free, just to see if I like the taste of it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

sample from a client

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search