Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Apr 1, 2010

Today I answered to a job poster who offered a small job (Trados) for a fixed amount that would cover my minimal charge or my hourly salary for half an hour of work.

But when the files arrived, I saw, that the source files were packed in a folder structure within half a dozen folders. The glossary was a large excel file with all kind of languages. The TM would have to be loaded from the server.

I realised, that already preparing the glossary for import into Multierm would probably take me half an hour at least. So I quickly turned down the offer.

I just wonder why agencies don't do their homework. If they want to save money they should make sure that the translator really needs only to translate. Or what do you think?

Regards

Heinrich

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:05
English
+ ...
I agree. Apr 1, 2010

I was recently asked to first transcribe a text, and THEN translate it. Or actually, translate it from an mp3, I think is how they described the job.

To me that's two different jobs: 1. transcribing and 2. translating.

[Edited at 2010-04-01 15:14 GMT]

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:35
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Agree with both above. Apr 1, 2010

I recently got an offer of translation of a video file. I found that time allocated was not enough and I had to politely decline the offer. Also, I mentioned the agency's representative that it will include 2 tasks, transcribing and translation.

There had been issues with uploading the file to desired server few a times, and waiting time was never paid for.

: PRAKAASH

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:05
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I think they are trying to save money Apr 1, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I just wonder why agencies don't do their homework. If they want to save money they should make sure that the translator really needs only to translate. Or what do you think?

I think you're using the wrong kind of logic here. If you had done as many translators would have do i.e. done the preparation AND the translation for the fixed fee, then how can the agency lose?

I think they've done their homework - it's just so sad for themicon_frown.gif that you've done yours, too.icon_smile.gif

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Charge an hourly rate for project preparation Apr 6, 2010

That's what I do if the project is not prepared properly and involves a lot of preparatory work that cannot be automated.

Informing the client in advance is advisable, of course.

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Translators will still complain ;) Apr 6, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I guess some of the translators also complain when it comes to translating in well-prepared online environment (TM automatically assigned and updating, glossaries available all the time, but you have to work in your Web browser)icon_wink.gif

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I have experienced it too Apr 6, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I realised, that already preparing the glossary for import into Multierm would probably take me half an hour at least. So I quickly turned down the offer.

I've had such jobs. The client pays per word or for half an hour's work, but the brief consists of five to ten pages of complex instructions that will take at least an hour to read *and* understand. The client probably understands exactly what is needed, so he looks at the ten pages of instructions thinking "yes, it's easy to understand, and the translator will probably understand immediately". What some clients don't realise, is that the more instructions they provide, the more time we have to spend reading them to ensure that we don't miss some hidden but vital instruction somewhere in it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Small job, but big preparations

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search