Software and Documentation rates
Thread poster: LingCom

LingCom
Argentina
Local time: 06:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 12, 2010

Hi to all,

A new client (a software company) is asking me to provide "Software rates" and "Documentation rates". I don't understand what they mean with this request.
Does anybody know the difference between these two?

Thanks!


 

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:09
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Strings vs documentation Apr 12, 2010

1. Rate for software strings.
2. Rate for documentation (online help, user's manual, etc).


 

LingCom
Argentina
Local time: 06:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 12, 2010

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

1. Rate for software strings.
2. Rate for documentation (online help, user's manual, etc).


So, I guess that software rates are more expensive than documentation rates... as they would include codes and stuff like that?


 

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:09
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
That's usually the case Apr 12, 2010

LingCom wrote:
So, I guess that software rates are more expensive than documentation rates... as they would include codes and stuff like that?


Translation of software strings is very context-dependent and therefore time-consuming. There are usually a lot of queries and emails exchanged among the freelancer, the agency (if any) and the end client.

[Edited at 2010-04-12 18:40 GMT]


 

LingCom
Argentina
Local time: 06:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for your help Apr 12, 2010

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

LingCom wrote:
So, I guess that software rates are more expensive than documentation rates... as they would include codes and stuff like that?


Translation of software strings is very context-dependent and therefore time-consuming. There is usually a lot of queries and emails exchanged among the freelancer, the agency (if any) and the end client.


I see...
What additional % you would charge for software translation? For instance, if you are charging usd 0,1 for documents, what rate would you propose for software?


 

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:09
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
10 to 20% more Apr 12, 2010

If giving a blank quote, without seeing the material for translations, I might add 10 to 20% for software strings.

I try to make sure documentation rate is my target rate and the software rate is marked up. If you're hesitant whether the client will agree to your rate, try to make it seem like you're giving a *discount* for documentation, not a *surcharge* for software strings.


 

FarkasAndras
Local time: 11:09
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Staying away could be a good idea Apr 12, 2010

Software localisation is a pretty specialized line of work.. Don't take your very first localisation job from a company that expects you to know the ins and outs of this sort of work and leaves you to your own resources... that could very easily become your worst job ever.
If you can rely on them to give you continuous support, preferably having you work in their office early on, then fine. Otherwise, I'd say just pass.
Also, don't even consider it unless you are really into computers. Translating software strings is something only serious computer geeks should do IMO.


 

LingCom
Argentina
Local time: 06:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent Mikhail! Apr 12, 2010

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

If giving a blank quote, without seeing the material for translations, I might add 10 to 20% for software strings.

I try to make sure documentation rate is my target rate and the software rate is marked up. If you're hesitant whether the client will agree to your rate, try to make it seem like you're giving a *discount* for documentation, not a *surcharge* for software strings.


GREAT! THAT'S CLEAR.


 

LingCom
Argentina
Local time: 06:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think you're right Apr 12, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

Software localisation is a pretty specialized line of work.. Don't take your very first localisation job from a company that expects you to know the ins and outs of this sort of work and leaves you to your own resources... that could very easily become your worst job ever.
If you can rely on them to give you continuous support, preferably having you work in their office early on, then fine. Otherwise, I'd say just pass.
Also, don't even consider it unless you are really into computers. Translating software strings is something only serious computer geeks should do IMO.


Ye, that would be my first localization work...Maybe I should stay away...


 

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:09
German to Spanish
+ ...
Software and Documentation rates Apr 12, 2010

LingCom wrote:

Hi to all,

A new client (a software company) is asking me to provide "Software rates" and "Documentation rates". I don't understand what they mean with this request.
Does anybody know the difference between these two?

Thanks!


What kind of software ? Have they an own translation system ?
Without to know exactly what they are asking for, I would be cautious.

To give an example, I know myself. XXX has his own proprietary translation system. You may work at home or at an agency. You get proposals from the system, you may accept or not. If the string is translated correctly, you push the down arrow key and translation is done.

If you have a lot of good proposals, string translation is done very quickly, but if not you will have to search in a terminological database, translate consistently with previous translated strings and so far. Not more so fast. This is why I say to be cautious.




[Editado a las 2010-04-12 22:45 GMT]


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software and Documentation rates

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search