question about agency's policy
Thread poster: cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 30, 2003

Dear All,
I have a question about an agency I wrote to and that answered me. I find their response quite strange and I would like to know if such practices are normal. I won't give out the name of the company, but I am just copying and pasting the main subject of the message.

"Normally we do not transmit bids by translators who are not the XXXXX affiliates. However, in cases where a job is directly under our responsibility we do that with candidates who show a promising track
... See more
Dear All,
I have a question about an agency I wrote to and that answered me. I find their response quite strange and I would like to know if such practices are normal. I won't give out the name of the company, but I am just copying and pasting the main subject of the message.

"Normally we do not transmit bids by translators who are not the XXXXX affiliates. However, in cases where a job is directly under our responsibility we do that with candidates who show a promising track record. Eventually, you will have to join and your five year membership fees (99
USD) will be discounted from your pay."

What do you think of that? Thank you very much for your replies...

Happy new year
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:20
Member (2003)
German to French
Forget it! Dec 30, 2003

You never have to pay to work, it's as simple as that. Forget them.

Meilleurs voeux,
Sylvain

[Edited at 2003-12-30 13:42]

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
And a Happy New Year :) Dec 30, 2003

cendrine marrouat wrote:
"Normally we do not transmit bids by translators who are not the XXXXX affiliates. However, in cases where a job is directly under our responsibility we do that with candidates who show a promising track record. Eventually, you will have to join and your five year membership fees (99

What do you think of that?

Hope it's clear

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2003-12-30 12:04]

Maria Luisa Duarte
Maria Luisa Duarte
Spain
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"enlightened individuals" Dec 30, 2003

cendrine marrouat wrote:

Eventually, you will have to join and your five year membership fees (99

I think you should post the name of these "enlightened individuals" so that the translation community be on the look out.

All the best for 2004!
MLD

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't post names, please Dec 30, 2003

I think you should post the name of these "enlightened individuals" so that the translation community be on the look out.

Please don't - it's against forum rules to discuss specific outsourcers (as well as translators, BTW).

As one of the Jobs Area coordinators, I would like to add that we have rejected and/or removed job postings by various outsourcers requiring a paid membership, unless they could prove that they had a genuine job that would not require payment on the part of the provider.

Should anyone spot a posting of this nature, please do not hesitate to contact the Jobs Area coordinators - TIA.

Best regards, Ralf

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Pay to work? Dec 30, 2003

I am with Susana on this one!

Tell them that they have to pay 10 euros for every e-mail they open that comes from you! You could say that this is for the administration costs involved in reading their mail, etc.

cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
question about agency's policy Dec 30, 2003

Marijke Singer wrote:

I am with Susana on this one!

Tell them that they have to pay 10 euros for every e-mail they open that comes from you! You could say that this is for the administration costs involved in reading their mail, etc.

I find your response really nice and pleasant! I will use it!

Martina Silpoch
Martina Silpoch  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:20
English to Czech
+ ...
Sounds like a nice scam to me! Dec 30, 2003

Yeah, sure, just like all the companies that want you to send them a small amount of money, so they can provide you with materials about working at home, buying at unpublished auctions etc. etc. Only problem...there must be a lot of people still falling for it, how else would they all these crooks stay in business?

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:20
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I will Dec 30, 2003

post my advice "How to get rich without doing anything" to anyone who will send me
10 bucks

Uldis

(c)- qoute is not mine, I do not remember the author, but I suspect it was Mark Twain

cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
question about agency's policy Dec 30, 2003

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

post my advice "How to get rich without doing anything" to anyone who will send me
10 bucks

Uldis

(c)- qoute is not mine, I do not remember the author, but I suspect it was Mark
Twain

I love this one!!!

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
maybe a BB entry? Dec 30, 2003

you could, potentially, post the company's name with your comment on the BB. Now, I really don't know if that be good manners in the light of Proz.com etiquette, but might certainly prove helpful to others.

thanks for posting this topic.
it is quite outrageous what some people think they might get away with...

Have a great 2004, full of great jobs, love and happiness.
Cherio
Agnieszka

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:20
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I'm afraid not Dec 30, 2003

tygru wrote:
maybe a BB entry?

It's not possible to rate agencies for which you have not actually worked.

Any volunteer? (just joking)

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'll do it Dec 30, 2003

Claudia Iglesias wrote:
It's not possible to rate agencies for which you have not actually worked.

Any volunteer? (just joking)

I am offering myself as a volunteer for the sake of this beloved community. All I need is for each of you to send me US$9.99+tax so I can afford the membership dues and report on the agency...gee, this sure is contagious

S.G.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:20
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Ohhhh, Susana.... Dec 30, 2003

Too funny

I did know that you were generous and willing to help your peers, but to that point!

Susana Galilea wrote:
I am offering myself as a volunteer for the sake of this beloved community. All I need is for each of you to send me US$9.99+tax so I can afford the membership dues and report on the agency...gee, this sure is contagious
S.G.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

question about agency's policy

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »