The translator as a key player in the global system
Thread poster: Tom in London

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:59
Member (2008)
Italian to English
May 8, 2010

It seems to me that the very high added value of the translator's work can only be realised if the translator is acknowledged as a key actor in the processes of the diffusion of knowledge and information.

Without the translator these processes would be severely restricted to their own linguistic area.

Most international trade would become completely impossible. No ideas would ever be known or discussed outside their own language area.

No firm would ever be able to sell its products in any other country. No author would ever be able to publish their work anywhere outside their own language area.

Without the translator, the world would come to a stop.

Therefore the translator's key role within global processes of production and fruition should be given the highest recognition, to combat the widely-held misperception that because translations can be obtained quickly and cheaply, translation is not important.

I think Proz.com could do a lot to educate website visitors on this matter by making an introductory policy statement, on the home page, about the role of the translator.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

[Edited at 2010-05-08 14:03 GMT]

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 21:59
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Right on. May 9, 2010

I think you're spot on, Tom. If you expanded your ideas a little, you could submit this as an article. I also really like the idea of ProZ.com including a policy statement on this subject to raise awareness of the issue in our industry.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The translator as a key player in the global system

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search