The translator as a key player in the global system
Thread poster: Tom in London

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:26
Member (2008)
Italian to English
May 8, 2010

It seems to me that the very high added value of the translator's work can only be realised if the translator is acknowledged as a key actor in the processes of the diffusion of knowledge and information.

Without the translator these processes would be severely restricted to their own linguistic area.

Most international trade would become completely impossible. No ideas would ever be known or discussed outside their own language area.

No firm would ever be able to sell its products in any other country. No author would ever be able to publish their work anywhere outside their own language area.

Without the translator, the world would come to a stop.

Therefore the translator's key role within global processes of production and fruition should be given the highest recognition, to combat the widely-held misperception that because translations can be obtained quickly and cheaply, translation is not important.

I think Proz.com could do a lot to educate website visitors on this matter by making an introductory policy statement, on the home page, about the role of the translator.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

[Edited at 2010-05-08 14:03 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 06:26
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Right on. May 9, 2010

I think you're spot on, Tom. If you expanded your ideas a little, you could submit this as an article. I also really like the idea of ProZ.com including a policy statement on this subject to raise awareness of the issue in our industry.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The translator as a key player in the global system

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search