Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Several have told me I need a personal (translator) website. Suggestions?
Thread poster: Jessie Nelson

Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:30
French to English
May 9, 2010

Hello,
I have been translating for some time and am trying to develop new contacts. Several have told me I need a personal website.
Has anyone a suggestion as to a good site?
I googled this, but there were so many responses I dont know where to start.
Thank you.
Jessie

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-05-10 10:21 GMT]

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:30
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
You can start with expanding your profile here at Proz May 9, 2010

If you want to do something easy and quick you can purchase your own domain or domain and hosting, use the email account in your domain - for example jessie@yourdomain.com and redirect traffic from your domain (www.yourdomain.com) to your proz profile. Andof course significantly expand your profile.

That's something simple, cheap and may be done in less than a day.

After a while when you gather more material for your website you can hire somoene who will do it for you and once it's ready you remove redirect and instead add to your proz.com account link to your website.

Good luck
Stanislaw

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested editions not made.

Roberto Lipani  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:30
Italian to English
+ ...
A personal website May 10, 2010

Hi,
I saw the topic of the forum and decided to write (shortly) my own experience. I have been working as a translator for some years, and I too was told I would need a personal website...
I tried to look around and asked some quotes. Actually, the expense is quite cheap but I will wait a bit, just the time to have two or three reliable customers and then I will try on my own.
I think being here at www.proz.com is a good experience, a good way to start.
Hope things are going well for you all
best regards

Roberto

Tae Kim  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:30
Member (2007)
English to Korean
+ ...
I used 1and1.com for my personal website May 10, 2010

Hi

When I first started I didn't have my own personal translation website, but I soon found out that it is of a great advantage to my business and getting more noticeable attention from potential clients. I chose 1and1.com to design my own website. They have quite a few selections to choose from to deisgn your own website. You can select a template and patterns, colors, etc, and then put in your own texts explaining your service. My website using that website company is www.taekimtranslation.com. I pay about $9 a month or so for the subscription fee. I pay now $99 a month for now for search engine optimization, but this SEO is not getting results that I hoped to get when I signed up for it. So I might soon cancel this SEO service which costs a lot compared to my just subscription fee anyway. I might try Google or Yahoo SEO service to attract more customers. But for just a basic website designing, I'm satisfied with 1and1.com.

Viachaslau  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Russian
+ ...
My experience. May 10, 2010

It's a very good idea to launch your personal website. I am now finishing my website, though it is already published.

Before i got down to it, i had looked through numerous webpages of my colleagues. Some of them are really impressing, many are pretty boring, a few can be classified as 'too much'

A nice website should be: simple, but not too boring (in terms of design and layout), it should contain just the right amount of text, it should conatin all relevant information, of course (otherwise what's the purpose?), it should have a good domain name.
www.professionalportuguesetranslationservices.com
is NOT an option, it's not a must that you your domain name has tr/trans/translation/translations/ or whatever in it either, just your
namelastname.com
or even better
lastname.com
to check if it is available or not go to http://www.whois.com/
If yes, congrats! Register it, a .com domain costs around $10 a year, peanuts.
As soon as you are the owner, you need to redirect visitors to another webpage (your proz profile, for example), you do it on special page with settings, your registrat will send you instructions

Then, the most exciting, start building your own site! Use any of the free website builders.
I suggest that you use weebly.com
Create an account and get down to work, use available templates, just drag and drop to add features.

When your website i ready, configure it your own first-level domain
(it will take you a minute)

just because weebly is actually a free hosting, your website will cost you 10 dollars a year

Hope it helps

Regards
Viachaslau

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Free website templates May 10, 2010

Hi Jessie,
perhaps you might try one of the free website templates available from www.freecsstemplates.org.

You can use any of the free HTML editors to fill the template of your choice with your content. Once you are done, simply upload all files on your server and that's it. I am quite sure you will find that working with CSS is in fact very easy.

Ángel Domínguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What a ripoff! May 10, 2010

$99 a month for something called SEO optimization. I've created websites for years and that kind of service is but a fantasy; if a SEO service works it's by “cheating”; I mean, the way search engines work you can only be at the top of the results is by having many links to your site for a specific search. Companies that offer SEO “magic” are actually hurting the Internet as a whole by introducing their tools and websites to help a website that would never be among the top results appear there. Ever wondered how so much crap appears when doing certain searches? It's the SEO vendors you'd have to thank.

Of course, HTML-wise there are some things you have to do in your code (simple things, actually) to help search engines find and index your site. That's the _real_ SEO optimization. After doing that, it's all in the contents you provide and the people that link to you website.

Here's a great article on the evils and lies of SEO; a must read:
http://powazek.com/posts/2090

Ángel.

[Edited at 2010-05-10 11:28 GMT]

Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
for me, my Proz.com profile is enough May 10, 2010

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question...

But just to say that free hosting is included as part of your membership fee. All you have to do is find an available domain name and register it through ProZ.com for $10 a year (unless the price has gone up). That's considerably cheaper than most (any?) other providers. So all you need to do is design the site yourself (I'm not sure ProZ.com offers templates) or find a website designer to do it for you.

On a personal note, I don't have my own website for translation services. But I do make the most of my ProZ.com profile - feel free to have a look. I have plenty of work, some clients have come through ProZ.com but most have not. However, whenever I contact a new potential client or a colleague passes my name on, I refer them to my ProZ.com profile drawin their attention to my WWA entries and my project history which I try to keep as up-to-date as possible.

Since this is the kind of info I'd have on my own website, I don't see why I should re-invent the wheel (that's just my personal opinion).

Deborah Workman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
For me the ProZ profile is enough, too May 10, 2010

I find that the profile link is enough to give people an idea of the services I offer, whether or not we find each other through ProZ. And I have enough work to keep me as busy as I'd like. Since I'm just a one-person operation and have no ambitions to grow my company (been there, done that), this solution is a good one for me. I make sure that the link appears in all my business correspondence and on my business card.

If I were to have my own website, though, I'd want it to be of the quality and standards that breed confidence in the kind of clients I'd like to attract (different industries/business types follow different styles and customs), and I'd look first for something free or inexpensive (like the templates that have been suggested, or a site like www.vistaprint.com that can give you a coordinated look for a low monthly charge).

I also agree that SEO services are probably not worth the money spent on them. It takes about 8 weeks (I find) for page info to be picked up by various search engines, with or without SEO-type help. ProZ, meanwhile, seems to do a great job of getting its pages picked up by search engines very quickly, no doubt because it has the volume -- another reason why I leave that work to them, so I can stick to translating!

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Totally agree May 10, 2010

Ángel Domínguez wrote:

What a ripoff!

$99/month for SEO optimisation, which will most likely consist of posting links to your website on a number of dubious so called websites, is definitely a ripoff.

For that kind of money you can invest in quite a few good SEO books/courses. These will teach you the basics of real SEO and techniques which will not get your site blacklisted by Google et al.

Of course, HTML-wise there are some things you have to do in your code (simple things, actually) to help search engines find and index your site. That's the _real_ SEO optimization. After doing that, it's all in the contents you provide and the people that link to you website.

SEO optimising your content is arguably more important than working on code - as long as you make sure to name your pages appropriately. Keyword percentages in your content are, to my knowledge, very important. Meta data also has it's uses, although Google doesn't place much emphasis on meta descriptions. I think the emphasis on content will be even more relevant with the launch of Caffeine.

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Several have told me I need a personal (translator) website. Suggestions? May 10, 2010

Jessie08 wrote:

Hello,
I have been translating for some time and am trying to develop new contacts. Several have told me I need a personal website.
Has anyone a suggestion as to a good site?
I googled this, but there were so many responses I dont know where to start.
Thank you.
Jessie

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-05-10 10:21 GMT]

I am not too enthusiastic about web pages. First of all, if your page is not in at least the three (better two) Google search pages, it is not useful at all. Nobody search behind the first 3 pages. Experts say that even if you own a web page in the first pages and you do not get the reader's attention in the first five to ten seconds, you have lost. He will look for another page. On the other hand, I guess that a well designed web page with the client in mind may be useful, but it will take a lot of work to maintain.

[Editado a las 2010-05-10 21:33 GMT]

German to Spanish
+ ...
Several have told me I need a personal (translator) website. Suggestions? May 10, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

Ángel Domínguez wrote:

What a ripoff!

$99/month for SEO optimisation, which will most likely consist of posting links to your website on a number of dubious so called websites, is definitely a ripoff.

For that kind of money you can invest in quite a few good SEO books/courses. These will teach you the basics of real SEO and techniques which will not get your site blacklisted by Google et al.

SEO optimising your content is arguably more important than working on code - as long as you make sure to name your pages appropriately. Keyword percentages in your content are, to my knowledge, very important. Meta data also has it's uses, although Google doesn't place much emphasis on meta descriptions. I think the emphasis on content will be even more relevant with the launch of Caffeine.

Agree. I would like to add some little suggestions more about SEO:
Google does not like frames nor complex javascripts. It is better no to use frames, nor complex javascripts and to use css-templates and textual links instead.

[Editado a las 2010-05-10 21:39 GMT]

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Some more SEO ideas May 10, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:
I would like to add some little suggestions more about SEO:
Google does not like frames nor complex javascripts. It is better no to use frames, nor complex javascripts and to use css-templates and textual links instead.

The frames tags were deprecated some years ago, if you want something similar you should now be using the iframe tag. And, AFAIK, the new Caffeine version focuses on speed. You should therefore keep all javascript and css outside your content, i.e. html files. From what I have read, in case you use a lot of javascript, you should also consider using a minimiser.

German to Spanish
+ ...

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

Pablo Bouvier wrote:
I would like to add some little suggestions more about SEO:

The frames tags were deprecated some years ago, if you want something similar you should now be using the iframe tag. And, AFAIK, the new Caffeine version focuses on speed. You should therefore keep all javascript and css outside your content, i.e. html files. From what I have read, in case you use a lot of javascript, you should also consider using a minimiser.

Yes, you are right: javascripts, frames and so far should embedded from outside of the content.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Several have told me I need a personal (translator) website. Suggestions?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search