Thread poster: Klemen Perko

Klemen Perko  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 17:59
English to Slovenian
+ ...
May 14, 2010

Hi,

I was wondering whether any of you ever faced such an issue and how you handled it.

I was namely informed by an agency I have been working for a couple of years now (and have been generally happy working for them as I had the feeling that they really appreciated my input and have been paying me - what I believe to be - fair rates for the translations) that they have implemented a new tool which will enable them to join and build TM's by all translaters working on a certain client account in the same language combinations.

All fine so far, but they have later in the mail asked me to kindly send them the TM I have already built up so far so that they can update their respective TM in order to provide their client with as consistent translations as possible.

Now, I do feel very reluctant to do so and will most probably refuse, for many reasons, not least that I do feel that my TM is the fruit of my hard work and would hate to see that the agency would some months later have kindly thanked me for my services and hired a cheaper translator who would then reap the fruits of the said work.

Have you ever received such a request before? How did you deal with it? Any suggestions/opinions/experience shared shall be greatly appreciated!

Best,
K.

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
They can always align May 15, 2010

If you don't send it, they could recover it by aligning the source and translated documents so you are not really protecting anything by refusing to send it.

If they ask for it, I always provide the agency with my TM (or the uncleaned files, if they prefer) but only for the job I did for them (I re-clean the file into a brand-new TM and then export it in tmx format). I still have an "edge" in that I have TMs from multiple sources.

Asking for the TMs retroactively is possibly a bit over the top but, as I said, if they are smart enough they can get them anyway. You could reasonably claim that their jobs are mixed in your TM with other customers' jobs and that confidentiality prevents you from giving them out.

T.

ale
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Sharing TM... May 15, 2010

I fully agree with Terry. Especially, if you already have a longer - on-going - good relation with that specific agency.

HTH,

Aleš

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
My 2 cents May 15, 2010

Klemen Perko wrote:

... Now, I do feel very reluctant to do so and will most probably refuse, for many reasons, not least that I do feel that my TM is the fruit of my hard work ...

On the other hand the agency could just as well say - or at least think - that by now they have paid enough for it already, Especially so, if the prices they have paid have not matched the mix of 100% repeats, matches etc in the text.

Let's look at the TM as a toolbox of some craftsman, let's say a wood carver, it´s been well taken care of for years, kept sharp, replenished and/or renewed now and then to keep abreast. The request of the agency means essentially that the wood carver is invited to leave his toolbox on their premises.

First, I strongly doubt that somebody else could use it as well as I can - my brain and my experience stays with me. Second, I would have serious problems with tools getting thrown into some common dump I have no control over. And third, I could not trust this kind of a TM the same way as I trust my own material. Means my work would start to get expensive - for me. Of course I could just as well get sloppy ("... well, wth, TM says so ..."), but this is something I as a professional just can not do.

Eventually this can not do the quality of our work any good. If things sour up (for instance when an independent proofreader blasts the translation, done under these conditions) who will the agency blame? I have seen my share of horrible TMs and I do not want to get connected with them.

Neither do my clients. So far not one has asked me for this kind of a favour. Eventually it is all a question of trust, and they trust me more than they ever could some half-dead TM file on their server.

Da končam v klasičnem stilu:

Krpan zadene kij in mesarico, in to so bile njegove zadnje besede pred cesarjem: "Ko bi se spet oglasil kak Brdavs ali kdo drug, saj veste, kje se pravi na Vrhu pri Sveti Trojici.

Isto velja tudi za agenture.

LP

smo

[Edited at 2010-05-15 14:25 GMT]

Klemen Perko  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all May 17, 2010

Thank you very much for your kind replies and for sharing your experience. I would particularly like to thank Vito, both for the confidence boost as well as for reminding me just how much wisdom there is to be found in the traditional/folk literature of Slovenia.icon_smile.gif

Best,
Klemen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sharing your TM with a translation agency

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search