Trados' translation memory - do I send it with the ttx file?
Thread poster: zaqxsw
May 16, 2010

I have a job from another freelance translator. I worked in Trados and sent him the ttx file. He is asking for the translation memory as well, is this a standard practice? Can't he just use the TTX file?

I sense that the translation memory is a valuable thing. The history is that he has sent me two "almost similar" files, one after another, quoting the first one was not the correct one (after I completed and sent him the ttx file) as the client wrongly sent to him. I finished the second file and sent the ttx to him and now he is asking the Translation Memory.

I need advice, please help.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:28
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
ask why May 16, 2010

Ask why he needs your TM.
Sometimes there are problems opening a ttx and so the TM would be a workaround.
Why don't you want to send the TM?
If you have more segments in it, just export your TTX into a new (empty) TM and send him that.

Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:28
German to English
Send it anyway May 16, 2010

Emma is right - you can export the file and send itto him and you'll still keep your own TM. If the translation you've done is part of one of your main memories and you don't want him to have that, you can make a new TM to put those bits in, as Emma says.

Buck
Netherlands
Local time: 22:28
Dutch to English
Or May 17, 2010

I never send TMs to clients. If they want to incorporate your translation into their own memory, just send them both the clean and unclean versions of the translation and they can load it themselves.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados' translation memory - do I send it with the ttx file?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search