Business license?
Thread poster: Aida Mengistu

Aida Mengistu
Local time: 18:23
English to Amharic
+ ...
May 19, 2010

I just received a Translator Subcontractor Agreement that asks for my UBI (Unified Business Identifier) - which got me thinking: do I need a business license? So far I've been filing 1099s for my taxes but I'm wondering if I need to apply for a business license? Please share your thoughts.

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:23
German to English
UBI = Washington State May 19, 2010

Depending on where you live in the US, you probably don't need a business license, DBA or similar. Some translators incorporate for tax purposes, but for the most part, single-shingle businesses like translation don't need licenses. But you do have to pay your taxes!

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:23
English to German
+ ...
Hello neighbor! :-) May 20, 2010

Greetings from Oregon!

I was curious and looked up the criteria for business licenses in WA. You will need one, I guess:

"Who needs a business license?

You need a license if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
Your business grosses $12,000 or more per year.
You are doing business using a name other than your full legal name.
You plan to hire employees within the next 90 days.
You sell a product or provide a service that is taxable. To find out more information about what products or services are taxable, Department of Revenue’s business tax guide can answer most of your questions, or call them at 1-800-647-7706."

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/faqlicense.html

However, whenever I am asked for any kind of business identification, I simply provide our FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number) - the tax ID with the IRS.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Business license?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search