Disclosing details of job on CV
Thread poster: Kate Williams

Kate Williams
Spain
Local time: 06:59
Spanish to English
May 24, 2010

Hello, I got some excellent responses to my last post so I'm going to have another go.

I am updating my CV at the moment and am wondering how the following stands re confidentiality:

For one client I have translated some certificates from Spanish Govt Ministries and bodies accrediting the status of professionals in training and their qualifications. The said ministries and bodies themselves weren't the client so can I mention which ones they were on my CV?

Similarly, I recently did some translations of interviews with people from a logistics park for inclusion in a book by an American logistics expert. The park itself was not the client so can I use it's name?

Finally, an architectural translation featuring an Expo pavillion by a well known architect and other well known projects by others. These was for inclusion in a book. Since the architects weren't the clients, can I use their names and names of projects?

Thanks,
Kate

Direct link Reply with quote

Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:59
Member (2003)
French to English
Naming names May 24, 2010

Hi Kate,

My take on this is not to name names. As you say, the people/organisations involved are your clients' clients, not yours. As well as the confidentiality issues you've identified, it also implies you've attracted those end clients yourself, which I think is misleading. Instead I'd describe them more or less as you have in your post - to be honest if I were outsourcing I'd be more interested in the subject area expertise you'd built up than the names of your clients.

Best,

Karen

[Edited at 2010-05-24 17:49 GMT]

Caroline Kopp  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
naming agencies? May 25, 2010

Thank you Kate for initiating this forum!

May I add a question of the same category: what about naming the agencies you are working with? Is this usual? Or do you only mention your direct clients on your CV?

Thanks for your feedback!

wishing you all an excellent day!
Caroline

Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My CVs May 25, 2010

Hi Kate,

I do mention the end clients (from the agencies I work with), because it obviously gives a clear idea what kind of documents I translate and what are my specialization fields. I clearly state that I translate for agencies and the documents translated for companies X, Y, Z are not my direct clients. I also state my direct clients separately.
I also indicate some references (normally from the agencies I work for), so people can confirm that what I say is true.
In the end, I DID the work and my clients and their end clients are satisfied. Why shouldn't I mention it?
I normally ask the agencies beforehand if they would mind being mentioned as references. I never got a "no".

So, adding an answer for Caroline, I do mention about 3 agencies I work for. But not all of them.

All the best,
Constance

P.S. Please note that English is not my mother tongue!

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why not? May 25, 2010

If you were a project manager working for an agency then I believe you would mention on your CV that you managed the XXX and YYY accounts. Why would you not mention these accounts if you worked for the same agency on the same accounts as a freelancer?

Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Ask your clients May 26, 2010

I understood almost every nondisclosure agreement I signed with agencies to say that all information related to the jobs should be kept strictly confidential. All information includes the names of the end clients, and the information that I work for the agency at all, IMO.

One reason for this is that many agencies don't want their clients to know who actually does the translating, probably because they are afraid that translator and client might establish a direct business relationship.

[Edited at 2010-05-26 12:27 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disclosing details of job on CV

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search