https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/171712-survey_on_translating_for_the_publishing_industry.html

Survey on translating for the publishing industry
Thread poster: Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:19
English to Hungarian
+ ...
May 25, 2010

For many translators, working for publishers is a big dream: you can work with interesting texts, have real readers, have your name in print and sometimes even a fair amount of fame... On the other hand, translating for the publishing industry is notoriously badly paid in many countries - and publishers' standard contract terms are often unfavorable for translators and authors alike.

To get more insight, I compiled a short survey that aims to collect information about translators' e
... See more
For many translators, working for publishers is a big dream: you can work with interesting texts, have real readers, have your name in print and sometimes even a fair amount of fame... On the other hand, translating for the publishing industry is notoriously badly paid in many countries - and publishers' standard contract terms are often unfavorable for translators and authors alike.

To get more insight, I compiled a short survey that aims to collect information about translators' experience with publishers. It can be completed in less than 10 minutes at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YXLF5PG
Survey results will be published and integrated into a presentation about the publishing industry. Thank you for your help in advance.

Best regards,
Attila
Collapse

Milan Djukić
Milan Djukić  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Done! May 25, 2010

Hope it will help and that you will have enough responds for your presentation.

Regards,
Milan

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 15:19
Turkish to English
+ ...
Borderline Case May 25, 2010

I have worked on an English translation directly with the author of an academic work who paid me himself and is then trying to find a publisher for it. Do my experiences count for your survey, or do you only wish to hear from people who have dealt directly with a publisher?

Attila Piróth
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Tim May 25, 2010

Tim Drayton wrote:

I have worked on an English translation directly with the author of an academic work who paid me himself and is then trying to find a publisher for it. Do my experiences count for your survey, or do you only wish to hear from people who have dealt directly with a publisher?

Hi Tim,

The questions in the survey may not be very well adapted to this situation – but I am very much interested in it. I have had my fair share of misfortunes in a similar setup, where, as a colleague very adequately put it, my personal connection to the author backfired on me, big time. So, I could give some advise on what to avoid in a similar situation – but a lot more can certainly be said.

As Niels Bohr said, "An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field" – and in that sense, I am on the right track to become an expert in working with publishers – but details of your experience may help me and others choose a less thorny path.

Kind regards,
Attila

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 15:19
Turkish to English
+ ...
My own experiences May 25, 2010

Attila Piróth wrote:

Tim Drayton wrote:

Hi Tim,

The questions in the survey may not be very well adapted to this situation – but I am very much interested in it. I have had my fair share of misfortunes in a similar setup, where, as a colleague very adequately put it, my personal connection to the author backfired on me, big time. So, I could give some advise on what to avoid in a similar situation – but a lot more can certainly be said.

As Niels Bohr said, "An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field" – and in that sense, I am on the right track to become an expert in working with publishers – but details of your experience may help me and others choose a less thorny path.

Kind regards,
Attila

In the past, I think I have been contacted about six times directly by authors who were looking to have their books translated from Turkish into English, so I get the feeling that this is often the way that book translations are done, at least from Turkish.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Is it just me... May 25, 2010

... or has the publishing translation market gone into hibernation? I translated about one nonfiction book a year for the first 16 years of my career, and then I've had nothing for the past four.

Attila Piróth
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Over 50 replies thus far - please keep on May 26, 2010

Very nice: over 50 people completed the survey in the first 24 hours – and I hope there will be many more. I lot of insightful comments were added, too.

Attila

Attila Piróth
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Survey results Jun 15, 2010

Dear colleagues,

The survey on the publishing industry has received 93 replies (including 50 in the first 24 hours), greatly exceeding my initial expectations. A summary report is available here: http://www.pirothattila.com/PI_Survey.pdf .

Thanks a lot for everyone who participated.

Kind regards,
Attila

[Módosítva: 2010-06-15 0
... See more
Dear colleagues,

The survey on the publishing industry has received 93 replies (including 50 in the first 24 hours), greatly exceeding my initial expectations. A summary report is available here: http://www.pirothattila.com/PI_Survey.pdf .

Thanks a lot for everyone who participated.

Kind regards,
Attila

[Módosítva: 2010-06-15 08:45 GMT]
Collapse

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good work Attila Jun 15, 2010

Interesting work Attila. Well done.

Publishing translation seems rather bleak and unattractive from a financial perspective. Best left to those with a 'passion' for translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Survey on translating for the publishing industry

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »