Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Test translation volume 888 words
Thread poster: Wulf-Dieter Krüger

Wulf-Dieter Krüger  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:51
English to German
+ ...
May 28, 2010

According to the rules I am not supposed to name names, which I believe is not necessarily a good rule.

These people of who I am not supposed to devulge their name, asked me just today to do a free of charge test translation of a volume of 888 words.

Should one rate such a request as appropriate?

I believe not, since I once had a similar situation and I never heard again of that outsourcer after submitting the test.

[Edited at 2010-05-28 11:17 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:51
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
... May 28, 2010

I am not sure you can post their contact details here, according to proZ.com forum rules... But they have a good rate in Blue Board.

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Too much May 28, 2010

A test translation should be 200-250 words, 300 max. Above that, it's a job in disguise.

I once was offered a test translation that I considered too large. I told the outsourcer that I would do the test, but stop when I reached the 250 word mark. They accepted and I have since received several (real) jobs from them. That is something you could consider.

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
rules and regulations, what would we do without them and what do they help to disguise May 28, 2010

Veronica Lupascu wrote:

I am not sure you can post their contact details here, according to proZ.com forum rules... But they have a good rate in Blue Board.

I have just been informed that I am not supposed to do this, however, I do not believe that they deserve a good rating, if they send disgused jobs as tests, for if they do the same with several other bidders they get the translation done for nothing.
I believe that such a behaviour should be stopped, however, could be they just copied the tricky tricks of the end-client, yet, in such cases the names should be named, I believe.
Otherwise they'll get away with it and continue exploiting translators, because, I believe, that's what they are trying to do.

Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
I totally agree May 28, 2010

I just remembered this rule and wrote it FYI.

888 words for test translation is too much, but you could tell them that you translate less, as Jan suggested, and then everybody is happy. And maybe you will have a new, good client (as per their BB rates and comments).

If they do not agree, then you may want to tell other translators to not work with them and you could do that through BB, unless BB rules say that:

Entries concerning willingness to work again with given outsourcers are allowed only when (1) commissioned work has been completed in full and delivered on time, and (2) there have not been complaints related to quality shortly after delivery. Entries may not be made on the basis of negotiations, test translations, or other preliminary or non-commissioned interactions.

We don't like all the rules, but what would we do without them???

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 07:51
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I totally agree... May 28, 2010

888 words is too much! By the way, I was recently asked to do a test (a small one) and to send it back within four hours... What next?

[Edited at 2010-05-28 19:31 GMT]

Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
NEXT May 28, 2010

Teresa Borges wrote:

888 words is to much! By the way, I was recently asked to do a test (a small one) and to send it back within four hours... What next?

1. You will be contacted next days for a job (Sounds perfect, but it never happened to me )

or

2. You will be contacted after few months/years and the PM will say "Once you have provided us already with a translation test [also CV, translation samples, etc.]... "

or

3. You will never hear from them again.

I am also curios... when I do a translation test or provide translation samples for my language pairs and from agency's profile/website it is obvious that they work with these languages only on a outsourcing basis (i.e. they don't have in-house translators for these language pairs and work with 100 languages), how do they check the quality of my translations? Do they outsource the samples for proofreading? I don't think they invest in that.

Francesco Toscano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
You have to be paid for it! May 28, 2010

300 words it's more than enough

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, there is a lot of wondering May 28, 2010

Veronica Lupascu wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

888 words is to much! By the way, I was recently asked to do a test (a small one) and to send it back within four hours... What next?

1. You will be contacted next days for a job (Sounds perfect, but it never happened to me )

or

2. You will be contacted after few months/years and the PM will say "Once you have provided us already with a translation test [also CV, translation samples, etc.]... "

or

3. You will never hear from them again.

I am also curios... when I do a translation test or provide translation samples for my language pairs and from agency's profile/website it is obvious that they work with these languages only on a outsourcing basis (i.e. they don't have in-house translators for these language pairs and work with 100 languages), how do they check the quality of my translations? Do they outsource the samples for proofreading? I don't think they invest in that.

I sometimes wonder actually, if such tests are really required for translators who have decades of experience and the way some agencies behave tests seem to be a waste of time anyway.
Plus, if I am in the middle of a tricky translation I do not necessarily have the nerve nor the time to do one, yet bid for a job, since I plan for after the translation.
I agree with you that most likely these agencies do not have the man-/woman power to check the tests and will have to ask one of their other freelancers to check a test, which happened to me at least once.

The best outsorcer, anyway, is a colleague, because s/he knows what translation is about.

lucas olsson
German to Norwegian
Test translation in sheep clothes May 28, 2010

I actually revived a test translation where the company asked me to fill out the missing pieces of a translation, which in its course probably had been done by several translators that finished the translation, by all doing a small bits of it as a test. Actually I sent it back without filling my part which would have finished and told them about the bad quality of the complete translation. Probably a lot of companies who try to get small translations done for free. A test translation should never be more than 200-250 words, and I would never even do it if the company doesn't seem professional.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
We'd have less requests for tests... May 28, 2010

if there were reasons enough to believe and/or to ascertain that the information displayed in all profiles hosted on all professional sites was 100% accurate and reliable.

Sad to say, but it is far from being the case as per May 28, 2010. And those who should actually be targeted by agencies through such tests do not complain about this situation in fora such as this one, do they?

[Edited at 2010-05-28 17:42 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
200 hundred words of a good text, more than enough May 28, 2010

200-250 words of a carefully chosen text is more than enough for an initial assessment of a high-quality translator. 900 words is just too much. Ask them to pay you to do the job!

Paula Borges  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:51
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Qualifications & Experience May 28, 2010

Qualifications and experience are easy to check, if that is the problem.
Scans, phone calls and e-mails can sort that out.
And they don't necessarily mean someone has what they are looking for.
Now, I believe agencies are interested in tests for other reasons, such as style. Different agencies have different clients and standards, that's all.

So, we'll always have tests. That one is a bit too long, I agree. But some people send you long tests: short paragraphs, different texts - that seems understandable to me.

Now, if this was one single text I'd be worried. But I think sending back 250 words is a good idea.

In fact, I recieved long tests before without noticing 'please choose a paragraph to translate'.

[Edited at 2010-05-28 19:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-05-28 19:53 GMT]

Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 10:51
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Depends May 28, 2010

Depends on the nature of the text. If it is a story, a novel, some motivational book or such - 888 words is a modest amount.

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Test translation volume 888 words May 29, 2010

Wulf-Dieter Krüger wrote:

According to the rules I am not supposed to name names, which I believe is not necessarily a good rule.

These people of who I am not supposed to devulge their name, asked me just today to do a free of charge test translation of a volume of 888 words.

Should one rate such a request as appropriate?

I believe not, since I once had a similar situation and I never heard again of that outsourcer after submitting the test.

[Edited at 2010-05-28 11:17 GMT]

A serious translation enterprise do not send translation tests. It sends you a short paid translation job. If they are happy with your translation they will award you more jobs and if not you will not hear anything more about them again.

You can propose the agency to translate a maximum of 300 words and to deduct the cost of the test, if they award you with a longer job. If they do not accept, I would forget them...

In addition, I suggest you to read this: http://www.gala-global.org/articles/why-sample-translations-break-all-rules .

[Editado a las 2010-05-29 01:59 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Test translation volume 888 words

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search