Moving from France to the UK
Thread poster: LM1
LM1  Identity Verified

Local time: 16:49
French to English
+ ...
Jun 1, 2010

Hi,

After freelancing for the last couple of years in France I am planning on moving back to the UK later this year. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of moving from France to the UK and any problems they faced on leaving the French system, registering in the UK, tax issues, whether French clients prefer to pay in euros rather than sterling etc. etc.
Thanks in advance,
LM1

Direct link Reply with quote

Mirelluk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:49
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Quite a simple move Jun 1, 2010

Hi LM1,

I moved from Italy to the UK several years ago and found the British regulatory situation much simpler and very straightforward.

I cannot help you on how to deal with French authorities when closing your position there.
More information on taxes and working as self employed etc can be found on http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/index.htm.
You can even contact them by phone and get some free initial advise. They also organise free seminars and workshops on VAT issues, setting up a new company and many more.

As a general rule, I find that clients prefer to receive quotes and invoices in their local currency, otherwise in case of large/global corporations, this matter has to be agreed in advance. From this point of view the introduction of the common currency in Europe has been a blessing. Nevertheless you have to bear in mind the UK banking costs involved with receiving bank transfers from abroad.

The UK retail banking system is rather transparent, at least for my requirements. You can get information on their costs and rates directly from their websites.

Good luck,

Mirella

Vicky Nash  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English
Banks and tax Jun 1, 2010

When looking for a bank account over here I would strongly recommend Santander. They have a free business bank account, no monthly charges, fiarly high limits on the number of transactions of any sort in a month before they start charging for them and, even better, they don't charge for incoming Euro transfers. With my old account with Natwest I would be charged between £1.00 and £7.00 (depending on the amount I think, but it was never clear) to receive the money.

Have had my account with Santander since January and I'm really pleased with it.

On another note, if it's just you (i.e. you're not a company), you'll need to register with HMRC as a sole trader, which you can do by phone and is really straightforward.

Vicky

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Couple of tips Jun 1, 2010

a) assuming you can (e.g. no restrictions for foreign residents), keep your French bank account open. Keep it easy for existing clients, and you can 'stockpile' payments and xfer a larger sum to the UK less often - should be more cost effective.

b) get La Poste to redirect your mail for a year.

You have to notify urssaf and cpam and all the rest of them - I seem to recall I had to notify about 8 different bodies, but you'll be used to the bureaucracy.
In my experience, they are not the world's most efficient at logging new addresses (hence mail redirection). Only one of them (CPAM, I think) had difficulty grasping the fact I had ceased to trade in France and kept asking for money for months, but just keep repeating yourself (keep copies of all letters, natch - and use snail mail not email, I think) and the message hits home eventually.

A year after leaving, I had to effectively send in a zero tax return to the DGI, but after that, all was cool.

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just phone to register Jun 1, 2010

Vicky Nash wrote:

On another note, if it's just you (i.e. you're not a company), you'll need to register with HMRC as a sole trader, which you can do by phone and is really straightforward.

Vicky

Ha! Imagine trying to register with the Spanish (or Italian) tax authorities by phone!

This is probably a little off-subject but I have often wondered why the complexity of state bureaucracy is proportional to the distance from the Mediterranean.

LM1  Identity Verified

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 4, 2010

Thanks for all your help and advice!
LM1

Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
bureaucracy Jun 4, 2010

John Rawlins wrote:

This is probably a little off-subject but I have often wondered why the complexity of state bureaucracy is proportional to the distance from the Mediterranean.

Certainly because the Mediterranean sea was one of the main craddles of writing systems

Catherine

[Edited at 2010-06-04 10:56 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving from France to the UK

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search