Working with Portuguese Translation Agencies....
Thread poster: Nadja B Batdorf

Nadja B Batdorf  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:23
Member (2009)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 1, 2010

Dear Coulegues

I am surprised with some "news" that I got after working as a FREELANCE to a Portuguese translation agency.

They are talking about a "convention" between Portugal and USA established to avoid double taxation. I had to give them all my personal information including a tax ID number and address, nationality etc. They said that this was needed because I needed to get a tax ID number in Portugal that would be usefull in all Portuguese companies that I would work for.

After that they asked me to fill in a form called " CLAIM FOR TOTAL OR PARTIAL EXEMPTION FROM PORTUGUESE WITHHOLDING TAX, UNDER THE CONVENTION FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBLE TAXATION BETWEEN PORTUGAL AND USA"

If I do not fill this form they would retain 20% of the total amount of my services.
I really do not know if this is the right thing to do, and if you already had experienced something like that with any Portuguese Translator Agency.

I live in the USA and I am a freelancer. I have not signed any contract. I work just like most of you do. We apply to some jobs at PROZ and we expect to receive payment on the agreed date.

In my case the payment has not been done yet because of this problem.
Does anybody know something about it or had experienced that before?

Thank you so much!

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 20:23
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I am Portuguese, Jun 1, 2010

I am also a freelancer and I have been living in Belgium for the last 25 years and I had to do exactly that for one of my Portuguese clients... It is very unfortunate, but it is true! Please visit: http://www.portugalglobal.pt/EN/InvestInPortugal/InvestorsGuide/TaxSystemandTaxIncentives/Pages/AretheredoubletaxationagreementsbetweenPortugalandothercountries.aspx

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 20:23
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
By the way Jun 1, 2010

it has nothing to do with the agency, but with a convention signed between countries...

Nadja B Batdorf  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:23
Member (2009)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did not know that ... Jun 1, 2010

Thank you so much Teresa. I did not know of all these bureocratic procedures.
I will talk to them again and start with this procedure.

Once again, thank you so much for your clarification

[Edited at 2010-06-01 18:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with Portuguese Translation Agencies....

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search