What is the best route to being established half the year in France?
Thread poster: Rebecca Lyne

Rebecca Lyne
France
French to English
+ ...
Jun 4, 2010

Hello All,

I am currently based in the USA. I have the possibility of living up to half of the year in France and naturally need to continue working if there.

Does anyone know of translators from outside of the EU, particularly Americans, who have a similar situation and how they have handled the issue of billing, VAT, taxes, etc? I assume that I would need to be registered in some way with the state or perhaps I am mistaken.

Any insights will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Rebecca

Direct link Reply with quote

jmleger  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:41
English to French
+ ...
I think it pretty much depends whether you are a fiscal resident Jun 4, 2010

of France or The US. If you reside slightly less than 6 months in France and slightly more than 6 months in the US, you remain a US fiscal resident. As such you don't need register, charge VAT etc. You can ask to be paid directly to your American account. In any case, you will need to report your French income in the US.

You can charge you clients in dollars and win them over by playing on the currency exchange differential, telling them you will cost them at least 20 % less than your European colleagues. We did that when the euro at 1.5 $ = 1 Euro, and a lot of people came to us to save money. Plus we did not charge VAT, which for individuals was great savings (companies recover any VAT paid when the file their taxes, but even they were impressed with the no-VAT spiel).

Buzzy
Local time: 13:41
French to English
Are you sure you wouldn't have to register? Jun 4, 2010

I would recommend checking very carefully whether it's true that you don't need to register to work if you're not tax resident. Your tax residency determines where you pay your income taxes but I'm not sure it makes any difference to the rules for ensuring you're working legally, regardless of where your money gets paid to.
If jmleger is right then great - it's just that having been in France for 20 years it just sounds too simple to be true!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best route to being established half the year in France?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search