Vibeke Degn-P  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 18:12
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jun 12, 2010

Hi!
I have a couple of questions about who our customers are.
I am one of the lucky translators with a lot of direct customers, and I really hope that will continue. So I decided to try and get some more - via direct contact. I took a quick look my current customer list to find out who accually is buying translations, and found myself confused:
There is NO "red thread" when it comes to what position within the customer company my contact person has. It varies from executive manager to pr assistant.
So my questions to you are:
What is the most common position within a company for your contact person/direct client?
Does it vary according to what kind of company it is (i.e. a tourism company vs a financial insitution)?

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:12
English to German
+ ...
Cough, cough. Jun 12, 2010

If you are working with direct clients, you should know, because you can tell by the nature of your text (tech docs, advertising, PR, internal communication...). Who your contact person is depends on the size of the company.

What exactly do you wish to know?

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
There is no rule... Jun 13, 2010

... even within the same company.

In the same (large) company you may be dealing with the CEO's PA for one project, with a R&D engineering intern for another, and with the marketing services manager for a third one, if translation is not part of their core business. If the company is large, it may be tricky for you to get one one of your contacts there to refer you to another: tey often don't know about each other needing translation services.

In smaller companies, you may be talking to the owner in person, as the one who is pioneering ventures in another languages.

Nevertheless, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:42
German to English
Panel of translators Jun 14, 2010

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

In the same (large) company you may be dealing with the CEO's PA for one project, with a R&D engineering intern for another, and with the marketing services manager for a third one, if translation is not part of their core business. If the company is large, it may be tricky for you to get one one of your contacts there to refer you to another: tey often don't know about each other needing translation services.

In smaller companies, you may be talking to the owner in person, as the one who is pioneering ventures in another languages.

This is my experience too.

Some larger companies that frequently require translations in different language pairs have a panel of translators, maybe two or three in each language pair they require. These translators may be listed in their internal directory. So, translators could be contacted by anyone in the company requiring a translation, who has referred to this list of translators and selected one.

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:12
French to English
+ ...
Company size/needs...? Jun 14, 2010

Vibeke Degn-Petersen wrote:
So my questions to you are:
What is the most common position within a company for your contact person/direct client?
Does it vary according to what kind of company it is (i.e. a tourism company vs a financial insitution)?

As someone else who works mainly with direct clients, I'd say it can vary a lot, but in my case one thing I've been surprised by is how often it can be the CEO-- sometimes of quite a large company-- or somebody relatively high up in the company contacting me. At least some of these cases seem to be where the translation has some relatively high importance for the company (e.g. it's a bid on a project that would bring a lot of business to the company), or just cases where the company doesn't generally require translation very often, so that where they do it's a "special thing" and they don't really have a procedure for who's in charge of ordering translations.

And in other cases, it can be PAs, project managers... these tend to be cases where the company has more regular translation needs and they've actually put some kind of procedure in place for who deals with ordering the translations.

Roy OConnor
Local time: 18:12
Member (2009)
German to English
It depends... Jun 14, 2010

...on the size of the company and how it is run. Since I work exclusively in the technical field, most of my contacts are in technical departments. But with some smaller companies I deal with the CEO directly.

Dealing with large companies can be a bit of a problem if your name gets passed around. Although it's great for business generally, there may be times when everyone wants translations at the same time, e.g. for an exhibition or that international sales meeting. Then it's difficult juggling priorties without leaving anyone disappointed!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Our customers are...?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search