Thread poster: Rad Graban

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:20
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jun 18, 2010

Dear all,

I have received the following e-mail this morning and I'm really not sure what to think of it. Could it be some kind of scam? If so, how could it work? I personally can't see anything wrong with it (except that their web address (www.china-tlds.org) is not hyphenated when checking their website). What are your opinions?

(If you are not the person who is in charge of this, please forward to the right person/ department, as this is urgent, thank you!)

Dear CEO,

We are the department of registration service in China. we have something need to confirm with you. We formally received an application on June 17, 2010, One company which self-styled "dreatly print co.,ltd" are applying to register "slov-trans" as brand name and domain names as below :
slov-trans.asia
slov-trans.cn
slov-trans.com.cn
slov-trans.com.hk
slov-trans.com.tw
slov-trans.hk
slov-trans.in
slov-trans.net.cn
slov-trans.org.cn
slov-trans.tw

After our initial checking, we found the brand name and these domain names being applied are as same as your company's, so we need to get the confirmation from your company. If the aforesaid company is your business partner or your subsidiary company, please don't reply us, we will approve the application automatically.

If you have no any relationship with this company, please contact us within 10 workdays. If out of the deadline, we will approve the application submitted by "dreatly print co.,ltd" unconditionally.

Best regards,

Gavin Yao

[Edited at 2010-06-18 08:57 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Büchel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:20
Italian to German
+ ...
I think it is Jun 18, 2010

I think it is a scam. About one week ago I received an e-mail with more or less the same text. No idea how it works, I did not reply and deleted the message.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not a scam, but not honest either Jun 18, 2010

Rad Graban wrote:
We are the department of registration service in China. we have something need to confirm with you. We formally received an application on June 17, 2010, One company which self-styled "dreatly print co.,ltd" are applying to register "slov-trans" as brand name and domain names as below:

It's probably not a scam in the internet sense of the word, but it is almost certainly a scam in the traditional sense. The company called "dreatly print co. ltd" (if it really exists) probably belongs to the person sending you the mail, and he's hoping that you would buy these domain names before he does (and he gets a commission on the sale of the domain names), or else he's already bought them and now he's trying to resell them to you for a profit. So it's not what I would consider an evil scam, because you get what you pay for, but it is a scam in the sense that this person is telling you lies to coax you into buying something.

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
suspicious marketing techniques - nothing really new Jun 18, 2010

Maybe not really a "scam" but some dubious marketing techniques.

I suppose you have not registered such a domain name, so they will suggest that you buy it urgently from them "to protect you name" or "take car of your image" or whatever reason.

Believe me, registrars or domain name services will never check whether the client who wants to buy a domain name is the legitimate owner of the trade mark - except maybe for international brands like Microsoft/Coca cola/Mercedes where there have been some litigations in the past.

If they are a real registration service, they will sell you a domain name ... at what price ?
If they are not... they will just keep your good money ...

Some years ago, a big registration service checked whois lists and contacted domain name owners a few weeks before expiry of their registration to have them renew their registration immediately... but with themselves of course, not with the original name provider.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Total scam Jun 18, 2010

Total scam. Just ignore it! As long as you pay your ISP on time, nobody is going to steal your current domain, which is the one that matters to you. They are just trying to see whether you react to the email (the send millions of them). If you react, you are lost! Just delete and turn the page.

United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 18, 2010

Thank you all for your advice.

Have a good weekend.

R.

Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 07:20
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Same here Jun 18, 2010

We received the same e-mail at the company and we decided to ignore it. Maybe is a marketing tool, dishonest, aggressive but I cannot figure the scam

United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Alina-Maria. Jun 18, 2010

I keep wondering whether it would be a good idea to contact "not hyphenated" www.chinatlds.org and let them know about what is happening.
On one hand, I don't wanna do it and wanna do just what you guys advise me - delete it and ignore it. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind some action being taken to teach these dodgy people their lesson.

R.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you really need... Jun 18, 2010

Rad Graban wrote:
I keep wondering whether it would be a good idea to contact "not hyphenated" www.chinatlds.org and let them know about what is happening.
On one hand, I don't wanna do it and wanna do just what you guys advise me - delete it and ignore it. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind some action being taken to teach these dodgy people their lesson.

Do you really need to lose your precious working or free time trying to make these people feel uncomfortable about what they do? I can assure you that they won't care at all about anything you may say, and I am also pretty sure that it would be very hard to take them in front of a judge.

Dear colleague, follow our advice and forget about it. Any quantity of time you spend on this will only help them believe that they are succeeding and will encourage them to keep going.

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
It's a familiar, well-documented scam Jun 18, 2010

Enter "department of registration service in China" in your favourite search engine and marvel at the ingenuity of this particular scam.

Robin

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The question is: are they doing anything wrong? Jun 19, 2010

Rad Graban wrote:

You could, but you'd be making an assumption about what people regard as right and wrong. You may think that this marketing strategy is dishonest, but similar things can be said of many other marketing tactics, and different people regard different things as dishonest.

Unless you can prove that the trickster is lying to you (and you really can't prove that), the only thing you can hope for is that the people upstream from the trickster shares your opinion (and it is only an opinion) about what is allowable in marketing and what is not.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it scam? Advice needed.

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search