Translation online... with typos!
Thread poster: Sandrine A.
Sandrine A.  Identity Verified

Local time: 20:08
English to French
Jun 25, 2010

Hi all,

I recently completed the translation of a website and this morning I just thought I would try and see if my translation is online. Good news is it is, and with no changes. But there are typos, which at first I was afraid were mine, but after checking my files I can see they're not. There are also punctuation mistakes (in French there are specific punctuation do's and don'ts)... I know the client is not a French-speaking person.

All in all, this does not give a good impression to this company's possible French clients.

What do you do in such circumstances? I'd like to tell the agency so they could in turn tell the client, but is that a done thing?

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Sandrine

[Edited at 2010-06-25 07:52 GMT]

In fact the typos and punctuation mistakes are only in the buttons on the Home page... but this is what people see first...

[Edited at 2010-06-25 07:53 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, tell them Jun 25, 2010

If the mistakes were yours, it would be a rather uncomfortable situation, but as they were introduced at another stage, you will certainly not lose face by pointing them out. On the contrary: you will show that you care about the quality – and that your involvement in the project does not end with pushing the Send button.

It is a completely different matter whether the agency will communicate all this to the end client. If the mistakes were introduced by themselves, they run the risk of losing face. But that's a completely different story.

Kind regards,
Attila

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely, tell them Jun 25, 2010

And stress that you have checked your files and see that the text was edited along the line, introducing the mistakes. Most probably a native speaker of the end customer worked on the text without letting you approve the grammar and spelling of the final form. This happens very frequently.

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Ditto. Jun 25, 2010

Attila Piróth wrote:

If the mistakes were yours, it would be a rather uncomfortable situation, but as they were introduced at another stage, you will certainly not lose face by pointing them out. On the contrary: you will show that you care about the quality – and that your involvement in the project does not end with pushing the Send button.

It is a completely different matter whether the agency will communicate all this to the end client. If the mistakes were introduced by themselves, they run the risk of losing face. But that's a completely different story.

Sandrine A.  Identity Verified

English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 25, 2010

Thanks for your helpful answers. My first reaction was to list the mistakes and to send it to the agency, so I think I'll go ahead with it. I feel truly sorry for the end client, as they have a good translation (mine!) but because of these typos on their home page they don't give the right corporate image. After dedicating several days to this client I somehow "care" for them.

Tomas, actually I don't think it's a case of the end client "butchering" the translation. All texts are exactly as I sent them. The "only" problem is on the Home page, where the texts on some buttons must have been entered manually, obviously by a non-native speaker, letting some mistakes slip through (ex: they entered "professionel", which should be "professionnel" with two n's in French; in some cases they didn't leave a space before the quotation marks, which is something you need to do in French). Annoying thing is, the Home page is the first thing their French clients will see...

Thanks again for your input,

Sandrine

Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:08
Italian to English
+ ...
Typos/butchering Jun 26, 2010

This happens to my work all the time and I too go and check my original, and find that it's fine. I've flagged this up to the agency as it's clearly not going to help the client's image but nothing gets changed.
I find it professionally annoying but am learning to shrug and just be happy that I get paid on time and have regular work, oh, and that my name's not on it.

[Edited at 2010-06-26 21:03 GMT]

Ronald van der Linden  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:08
German to Dutch
+ ...
direct contact with end client Jun 26, 2010

If nothing changes, or you feel that the agency does not take your input seriously, you could write directly to the company. If it's prohibited by your agreement with your client to offer your services to your client, (which you are not, as you are only pointing out some errors) you could simply mention that you are a potential client interested in their products and noticed some language errors on the home page, which any native French would be able to discover.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation online... with typos!

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search