Thread poster: Vicky Nash

Vicky Nash  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:02
Member (2008)
English
Jul 12, 2010

Hi All,

I am considering buying TO3000 as so many of you are so full of praise for it. However, I've looked in the forums but haven't managed to find much regarding its accounting tools, which it has according to the company's website. These would be one of the main reasons I'd buy it - my accounts are not my strong point!

Do you use the accounting tools provided by TO3000? Are they easy to set up and use? Do they cover all your needs? Any thoughts would be most gratefully received!

Also, does anyone know if the TGB price includes VAT?

Thanks in advance,icon_smile.gif

Vicky

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Accounting Jul 12, 2010

Vicky Nash wrote:

Hi All,

I am considering buying TO3000 as so many of you are so full of praise for it. However, I've looked in the forums but haven't managed to find much regarding its accounting tools, which it has according to the company's website. These would be one of the main reasons I'd buy it - my accounts are not my strong point!

Do you use the accounting tools provided by TO3000? Are they easy to set up and use? Do they cover all your needs? Any thoughts would be most gratefully received!

Also, does anyone know if the TGB price includes VAT?

Thanks in advance,icon_smile.gif

Vicky

I've tried it several times but each time I give up cause I find it too complicated for my needs. You can dowload a trial version and see it yourself.

Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:32
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Great Tool and great service Jul 12, 2010

You may go ahead and try out the trial version initially. They have some nice tutorials designed for the PROJETEX software which is quite similar to TO3000. Once you have an idea how it works, it has an excellent utility value. The service is commendable too. Along with the accounts' part I also found the folder management system very useful. Regarding the invoicing though, you do not get a choice of file types - one has to stick to the rtf's.

Camilla Larsen
Norway
Local time: 17:02
German to Norwegian
+ ...
for invoicing Jul 12, 2010

I use TO3000 for all my invoicing. I find it easy to use, but it requires some work in the beginning - adding clients details, prices, services, adjusting invoice templates etc. When thats all done, the rest is piece of cake.

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
TGB does not include VAT Jul 12, 2010

The TGB for TO3000, as well as the direct sale through ProZ.com at http://www.proz.com/TO3000 do not include VAT

Thanks

Drew

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TO3000 - unnecessary project/job structure Jul 12, 2010

I'm using TO3000, and I generally like it, although its project/job structure is cumbersome for me and means extra work. It might fit other's way of working, but it doesn't fit mine. So make sure you try it out before...

[Bearbeitet am 2010-07-12 13:24 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
The structure is just fine, IMO Jul 12, 2010

efreitag wrote:

I'm using TO3000, and I generally like it, although its project/job structure is cumbersome for me and means extra work. It might fit other's way of working, but it doesn't fit mine. So make sure you try it out before...

Imagine you have a project named XY.
- Your first job is translation, priced at € 1 000.

After the translation is finished, your client decides to make some changes in terminology.

- Your second job is to implement all changes, priced at € 100.

So you have one project consisting of two jobs. Quite logical.

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Unnecessary for me... Jul 12, 2010

I do not need the additional layer - grouping of particular jobs into a larger project does not make much point... I could invoice, manage and even report groups of jobs just fine. There is simply no benefit to projects which would make them indispensable for me.

Also, the implementation leaves quite a bit to be desired... You have to switch between the "client" and "project" view quite a bit, which is not very convenient (and might be downright confusing for first-time users).

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
not for me Jul 12, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

efreitag wrote:

Imagine you have a project named XY.
- Your first job is translation, priced at € 1 000.

After the translation is finished, your client decides to make some changes in terminology.

- Your second job is to implement all changes, priced at € 100.

Yes, as I was saying: It may fit some people's way of working. For me, it's rather: I get a new job, consisting of one word file. So I have to create a project in TO3000, enter data as job name, deadline, PM, etc. Then, I'll basically have to enter the same data again to create a job inside that project. Once the translation is complete, I'll tick "job finished", and, guess what: I'll have to mark the project as finished as well! Unnecessary work for me.

I can see that the structure is fine for scenarios like the one you mention, but the vast majority of my work consists of single jobs. Even if I repeatedly translate for the same end client via an agency, I'll make a new job and project each time, as otherwise all files would end up in the same project folder ... what a mess.

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

For me, it's just the other way round: Every single small job consists of a "job" and a parent "project" consisting of nothing more than that job. Quite illogical.

Again, I'm just saying that I don't find the structure optimal, and the OP should check if it's fine for him before he buys. Had I not invested the time to learn and adapt to TO3000, I'd probably try to find something else today.

Best regards,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2010-07-12 15:18 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-07-12 15:20 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-07-12 15:21 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Indeed Jul 12, 2010

efreitag wrote:
Again, I'm just saying that I don't find the structure optimal, and the OP should check if it's fine for him before he buys. Had I not invested the time to learn and adapt to TO3000, I'd probably try to find something else today.
Best regards,
Erik

Indeed, Erik. Trying before buying is always highly recommended. I was just explaining how the structure works. It doesn't necessarily have to be convenient for all users and their working scenarios.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:02
English to Russian
+ ...
I have to3000 v.7 Jul 12, 2010

The software makes only great invoicing.
It doesn´t track expenses. It has no profit & loss report. It has no balance sheet.

Vicky Nash  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:02
Member (2008)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 13, 2010

Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions - I think I will try it out, although as Sergei says it doesn't really have any accounting tools (which isn't what I'd gathered from the advertising), I think I'll have to have a look around for something else.

Thanks again,

Vicky

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What irks me most Jul 13, 2010

Vicky Nash wrote:

Unfortunately I can't answer your question, so I'll just add my bit to what the others have said about what irks them about TO3000 in general. Like some other translators, I dislike the fact that I have to create a project for every job. But what I dislike most is the fact that I have to fill in so many different pieces of information. This applies to many such programs, however.

Take Customer Pro File, for example (it used to have a translators' version, but not any more). On the first screen for the client's information, you have to type in:

Title:
First name:
Middle initial:
Last Name:

Why can't one just have one, single field for the client's name? Why must one split up the client's name into four little boxes? Not all clients have names that neatly fit this structure.

For the address, you have to type in:

Suite number:
Street:
City:
State:
Zip:

Why can't there just be a single multiline box for the address? Not all clients' addresses fit into this type of template. Why must I split up the client's address and try to figure out what part of it I'll call the "street" and what part of it I will call the "city"? Why must I include a state? Why can't I have the postal code (the zip) in front of the city name, if that's the way it works in my client's country? It would have been so much better if I could just copy and paste the client's address from his e-mail straight into the invoicing program.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:02
English to Russian
+ ...
quicbooks Jul 13, 2010

I would recommend to purchase QuickBooks.
If you have this software there will be no need to purchase TO3000 at all.
QB is not so translation industry oriented but does everything a sole trader needs to keep his/her books in order.
And it gives its user the same (or even better) level of flexible project management control.

[Edited at 2010-07-13 11:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TO3000 Accounting tools - any good?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search