The spam filter at my web hosting service might be blocking out job requests
Thread poster: Victoria Eriksson

Victoria Eriksson  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:53
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 24, 2010

I have a problem with the spam filter at my web hostig service. I've found on several occassions that messages from clients get blocked by the spam filter, even though I've been able to receive e-mails from these clients before. Since this happens with many e-mails from clients that I already know I'm afraid that e-mails from potential clients also gets blocked which would be devastating for my business. I've been in contact with my web hosting service and they say that I cannot turn of/make changes to the spam filter as long as I don't sign up for their full webb hosting package (right now I have only a registered domain and e-mail via the hosting service).

So, do any of you know a place where I could have a domain and manage my e-mails without having to register for a whole package of services and where my e-mails won't get blocked?

Best,
Victoria

[Edited at 2010-07-24 08:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-07-24 17:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-07-24 17:37 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:53
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Broadband dongle? Jul 24, 2010

Would this help? I recently bought one of these (GBP20 including one month's fee) thinking it might be useful if I am without a phone line for a short period while moving house, but I haven't tried it yet. I see from this website that not all users are happy with it.

ZTE MF112 USB Modem 3 15GB Data Allowance a Month
The ZTE MF112 is another of our newest, next generation dongles that give you fast broadband speeds with no wires or hassles and plug&play install on ...
www.info-resource.org.uk/ZTE-MF112-3-USB-Modem-Pay-monthly.html

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Web hotel Jul 24, 2010

Victoria Eriksson wrote:
I have a problem with the spam filter at my web hotel.

What is a web hotel? Is that like a type of web host?

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Web hosting service Jul 24, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

What is a web hotel? Is that like a type of web host?

Yes, it is a web hosting service.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Awful Jul 24, 2010

Victoria Eriksson wrote:

I have a problem with the spam filter at my web hotel. I've found on several occassions that messages from clients get blocked by the spam filter, even though I've been able to receive e-mails from these clients before. Since this happens with many e-mails from clients that I already know I'm afraid that e-mails from potential clients also gets blocked which would be devastating for my business. I've been in contact with my web hotel and they say that I cannot turn of/make changes to the spam filter as long as I don't sign up for their full webb hotel package (right now I have only a registered domain and e-mail via the web hotel).

So, do any of you know a place where I could have a domain and manage my e-mails without having to register for a whole package of services and where my e-mails won't get blocked?

Best,
Victoria

That's quite repulsive as a business practice. Probably illegal as well - they are basically keeping your emails hostage. You should at the bare minimum be able to switch the filter off completely in the settings panel, and it's hard to believe you aren't.
Unfortunately, I can't recommend better hosting.
I have never used spam filtering and I never will. The risk of losing out on a job is not worth the added convenience... I prefer to spend 10 seconds a day deleting spam manually, secure in the knowledge that all important emails reach me. I take reasonable precautions to limit the amount of spam I get (use disposable accounts for online registering, never publish my main email on public websites).

BTW I have never heard of a "web hotel". Web/email hosting service sounds more like it.

imatahan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You may ask Jul 25, 2010

your clients to send e-mails also to an alternative e-mail, such as gmail. That would solve your problems by now.

I don't think it's legal to block your e-mails as THEY want. You are the one to block or unblock your own e-mails. It's your personal or commercial correspondence and no one has the right to select it but you. Talk to your lawyer.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never had that problem with my ISP Jul 25, 2010

Victoria Eriksson wrote:
I've been in contact with my web hosting service and they say that I cannot turn of/make changes to the spam filter as long as I don't sign up for their full webb hosting package (right now I have only a registered domain and e-mail via the hosting service).

Then I see only two possibilities:
A) Subscribe to the service they want to impose on you, and keep using your current ISP.

B) Switch to a more sensible ISP. My ISP is a small but smart company. I will be happy to recommend them to you.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Vote with your feet Jul 25, 2010

imatahan wrote:
I don't think it's legal to block your e-mails as THEY want. You are the one to block or unblock your own e-mails. It's your personal or commercial correspondence and no one has the right to select it but you. Talk to your lawyer.

I don't quite agree. Trying to sue these people for this reason is as useful as trying to lift an elephant's bottom from your foot with your bare hands. The elephant just does not care.

Personally I would quite simply choose a more sensible and willing ISP.

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 30, 2010

Thanks a lot everyone. Nice to see that you all agree that there is something wrong with their system. I'll try to find another web hosting service instead. Recommendations are welcome!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The spam filter at my web hosting service might be blocking out job requests

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search