Thread poster: Maria Antonini
Maria Antonini
Maria Antonini
United States
Local time: 14:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 28, 2010

Hello, colleagues. I would appreciate your responses regarding the legality / ethics of a spouse translating his/her spouse's legal documents or of a relative (close or distant) translating his/her relative's legal documents. Are there countries with specific legislation on this respect? Of particular interest to my inquiry is the USA. Thanks in advance. María Milagros

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
USA Jul 28, 2010

As far as the USA is concerned, I have no knowledge of any legislation at all concerning translation. It is a totally unregulated profession in the USA. Only interpreting is regulated for the purposes of certain agencies or institutions and then only in some areas or states. The only possible objection could come from the person or entity receiving the translation.

Some clients for legal purposes do require official certification, such as the one I have which is from the US Federal
... See more
As far as the USA is concerned, I have no knowledge of any legislation at all concerning translation. It is a totally unregulated profession in the USA. Only interpreting is regulated for the purposes of certain agencies or institutions and then only in some areas or states. The only possible objection could come from the person or entity receiving the translation.

Some clients for legal purposes do require official certification, such as the one I have which is from the US Federal Courts. Even though I am certified as an interpreter, the job description does include translation, and my services as a translator are much in demand because of said certification. It lends high credibility to my work, and it is an absolute requirement for many jobs.

Ethics might be another matter. Here I have only discussed legality, and I know of no impediment to relatives translating documents for one another, or for that matter anyone doing so while having no qualifications whatsoever for doing such work.
Collapse

Maria Antonini
Maria Antonini
United States
Local time: 14:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Henry Jul 30, 2010

I appreciate your reply, Henry. You've been very helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spouses / relatives translating legal docs for spouses / relatives

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »