Transfer domain to another host
Thread poster: ncfialho (X)

ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:26
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 15, 2010

Hi,
I wish to transfer my Proz hosted domain to another host, anyone did this or knows how to proceed?Big thanks,
Nat

Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:26
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Teu novo host deve informar Aug 15, 2010

Mas basta entrar na pagina (sítio) do novo host. Com certeza há um link para transferência de: para:

por exemplo:
http://www.hostnet.com.br/tutorial/veja-como-e-facil-transferir-o-seu-site-para-a-hostnet/

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:26
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Another network? Aug 15, 2010

Will you switch to another network service or ISP? I find Proz connectivity is great and I ignore an alternative host for my webs.

Best regards,
Soonthon Lupkitaro

German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reason Aug 15, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Will you switch to another network service or ISP? I find Proz connectivity is great and I ignore an alternative host for my webs.

Best regards,
Soonthon Lupkitaro

I will not be a paying member anymore and still want to keep my site.

Naticon_smile.gif

German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Novo host Aug 15, 2010

Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge wrote:

Mas basta entrar na pagina (sítio) do novo host. Com certeza há um link para transferência de: para:

por exemplo:
http://www.hostnet.com.br/tutorial/veja-como-e-facil-transferir-o-seu-site-para-a-hostnet/

Obrigado, do I then have to ask my new host how to proceed?

Nat

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How to proceed Aug 15, 2010

ncfialho wrote:
I wish to transfer my Proz hosted domain to another host, anyone did this or knows how to proceed?

I don't know for sure because I don't have a ProZ.com hosted domain, but here are some pointers about what I would do. The thing that links the domain name to the domain host is the DNS (nameserver) settings. So if you want to use a new host, you need to change your domain's DNS (nameserver) settings to match the DNS settings of the new host.

ProZ.com is a reseller of OpenSRS/Tucows. As far as I can tell, you (the domain owner) are able to change your own domain's DNS (nameserver) settings yourself via Tucows's system.

So, your steps are:

1. Get a new domain host. The domain host will ask you for your domain name. Give them your existing domain name, and they'll give you two or more sets of DNS settings that you should change at Tucows. This may take a day or two.

2. When you have your new host's DNS settings, log in to your Tucows account (or try to, if you don't know what your password is), and then fill in your new host's DNS settings. Then wait 3 days or less for your web site's host change to take place (your site may go offline for a few hours while the change takes place).

http://tucowsdomains.com/domains/domainmanagement/how-do-i-change-my-name-servers-dns/

Try to get both the named and numbered DNS settings from your host, as I'm not sure which ones you'd need to fill in on your Tucows account.

Your web site's contents itself will not automatically move to the new host. You need to download your site (using FTP) and upload the site's contents to the new host yourself.

If anyone can confirm what I wrote above, please do.

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 16:26
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
I transfered mine last year Aug 15, 2010

Hi, I went through the process last year I think, when I transfered my ProZ.com hosted domain to another host. My new host offers a very handy option to have multiple domains/websites hosted on the same account, for the same price and there are virtually no space limits. I have done this several times as I went on to move most of my domain names to the new hosting service and it usually goes pretty smoothly.

This is more or less what you should do: first find a new host and initiate the transfer procedure. You will need various authorizations codes for the domain transfer. If this is not done authomatically (in my case it wasn't) you have to go on the Twocows website and requent the transfer of the domain and they will send you the necessary authorization codes. You should expect going back and forth with these authorization procedures (twocows, ProZ, new host), as these are required steps, but this is completed in max. 7 days. Also, you should check the instructions from your new host, most provide instructions for each step of the process.

PS: Oh, yes. After the domain is transfered you will have to update the DNS settings, but this was very simple in my case and the new DNS propagated very fast.

[Editat la 2010-08-15 17:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transfer domain to another host

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search