John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:42
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 18, 2010

Interesting article on copyrights of derivative works, such as a translation.

http://www.ivanhoffman.com/derivative2.html

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:42
English to Thai
+ ...
Not only interesting but also essential Aug 19, 2010

I had a number of disputes on translation copyrights of the jobs that were not paid to me yet. Owing to this Price Waterhouse Coopers and a Chinese agency in this article, we need to make it clear on transfer of derivative works (e.g. translation) copyright in exchange for payment of fee. Internet job base makes electronic transfer of jobs is very quick but not if payment is spoken. Dishonest clients also decline to pay on subjective judgment of quality. Translators should make it clear legally ... See more
I had a number of disputes on translation copyrights of the jobs that were not paid to me yet. Owing to this Price Waterhouse Coopers and a Chinese agency in this article, we need to make it clear on transfer of derivative works (e.g. translation) copyright in exchange for payment of fee. Internet job base makes electronic transfer of jobs is very quick but not if payment is spoken. Dishonest clients also decline to pay on subjective judgment of quality. Translators should make it clear legally how to handle the issue.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copyrights of "derivative works"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »