EU tender from an agency I never worked for
Thread poster: Claudio Porcellana

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
Aug 24, 2010

Hi all

just coming back from vacation, I received the umpteenth quest for an EU tender from an agency I never worked for

In the past, I answered to some of them but I never received a job, so I answered them as below

I think it can be a good way to fend off those LPs that try to use us as a window dressing

what do you think about?

do you consider my answer fair and/or enforceable?

BTW, just in case here is the page on past EU tender winners
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/translation/workwithus/calls/closed/index_en.htm

Claudio

Hello XXX
there is a general issue here
last years there was a shower of similar quests from agencies I never worked for
I answered to some of them but I never received a job

my conclusion was that:
1 - no one of them won the tender
2 - the LP who won the tender gave the job to another (cheaper?) resource

the moral of the story is that, considering this time-consuming and potentially dangerous procedure (sharing sensible informations as diplomas), the game worths the candle only if your company signs an agreement which states that if you win the tender you'll give to me the whole job, unless I permit you to do so (for example, if I undertook other tasks in the meanwhile)

clearly, this agreement must include an economic penalty in case you win the tender an give anyway the job to another peer without my permission (as above-mentioned)
do you agree on it?

and here the interesting answer of this tender
"Dear Claudio,
I can give you another "conclusion":
3 - some companies won the tender, but as for 1 language couple sometime 10 to 30 companies/freelancers are selected and ranked, if you're number 25 you never get any job, as it would mean the 24 before refused it...
we know well about that because for the tender I talked about, we ended up #1 for ZZ->XX, and have sinced accepted all the work (hundreds of pages), which means even #2 didn't get a page... this is the system as the EU built it.
I could imagine signing an agreement like the one you mention if I can see your CV, and if your rates are interesting (in comparison to others we'll receive for this project for these languages).
Right now I can't really tell..."

[Modificato alle 2010-08-24 14:15 GMT]

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:59
English to Russian
+ ...
You will never hear from them again Aug 24, 2010

They just want to "borrow" your resume for the tender and then use somebody cheaper, seriously. Once I even got a phone call from an agency I never worked for and located in a different city, requesting not only to send my CV for a tender, but also to GO FOR AN INTERVIEW with the tender organizer located at my city. Again, I have neither worked for them nor sent them translation tests or samples. Amazing..

Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:59
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
HI Aug 24, 2010

I also recently received an email for a tender. They wanted so many documents that I thought it wouldn't be worth doing it unless we agreed on the rate paid above all. They never mentioned their rate and said I could put in my offer which they thought was acceptable.

The deadline had expired so they said I could still be part of their free-lancer team. Now that I am reading this, I wonder if I really want to be bothered and take their test.

Alma de Kok  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:59
Member (2006)
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
I guess I am lucky Aug 24, 2010

I participated twice with unknown agencies (actually it concerned the same tender, but I participated in bids from 2 agencies) and one of them won the tender. Right now I finished my first year working on this project. I am really satisfied, because rates are much better than normal Polish rates, work comes regularly so planning is easy. Payment always in 21 days after invoicedate.

So I guess sometimes it's worth the trouble....

Alma

TvNellen
United States
Local time: 12:59
English to Dutch
+ ...
Low rates Aug 24, 2010

I just told my client I won't accept any more EU work the other day because the rate they offer is low and, as it turns out, non-negotiable. In my experience, EU texts are pretty tough. I'm up for a challenge, but then the rate should reflect that. I just don't want to work my butt off for EUR 0.08 per word anymore.

[Edited at 2010-08-26 08:57 GMT]

Werner Maurer  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
tender Aug 25, 2010

I'm fairly new here, but I have already come to suspect that there are agencies that just use this and tc to populate their stables. Is that good or bad? Are those worth responding to?

Maybe that's what the outfits mentioned in this thread are doing.

BTW I'm not sure what tender is, can someone pls explain? Tx

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EU tender from an agency I never worked for

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search