Website Content translator needed ...
Thread poster: Claudio Porcellana (X)

Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Sep 11, 2010

Hi all

yet another request (not on ProZ currently, but possibly on ProZ anyway) for translation of a Web site without indicating the topic, then searching for unskilled translators

Now, this forum is surely attended by agency owners/CEOs (not one-man-band ehicon_wink.gif, so are them so kind to explain how a generalist translator, so to speak, can translate anything, from the knitting technique to the quantum theory?
icon_wink.gif))

or some agency responsible is simply so lazy to not be able to show the matter?

thanks

Claudio

Diana Battaglio  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:32
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree... Sep 11, 2010

Hi Claudio!

I think I know which ad you are talking about... I read it a few hours ago and I was doubtful about sending my offer or not... No specifications at all regarding the topic, nor about the required skills, necessary to deliver a good quality work... What if I send my offer and then it turns out to be something I do not qualify for?! That would be "funny"... Anyway, I would never send an offer for something I do not know, although it sounds tempting.

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:32
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
A match made in heaven Sep 11, 2010

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

Now, this forum is surely attended by agency owners/CEOs (not one-man-band ehicon_wink.gif, so are them so kind to explain how a generalist translator, so to speak, can translate anything, from the knitting technique to the quantum theory?
icon_wink.gif))

I get your point, but you should ask the same question to those who indicate 47 specialization fields in their profile, from knitting techniques to the quantum theory...and more (!).icon_rolleyes.gifThey are the perfect candidates for those type of jobs, a match made in heaven!

icon_biggrin.gif

Roberto Lipani  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
Italian to English
+ ...
Website translation Sep 11, 2010

Hi Claudio,
I have read the subject of this forum, and I have a doubt. I received a request by email to translate a website (EN>IT). There are a few strange elements in this:

-The job posting does not specify the subject of translation
-Neither the amount of words is indicated
-The client agrees (as he stated in the job offer) for downpayment via paypal

Do you think this is a scam?
(I have not replied yet

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards

Roberto

Diana Battaglio  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:32
English to Italian
+ ...
Roberto: Sep 11, 2010

Roberto Lipani wrote:

I received a request by email to translate a website (EN>IT). There are a few strange elements in this:

-The job posting does not specify the subject of translation
-Neither the amount of words is indicated
-The client agrees (as he stated in the job offer) for downpayment via paypal

Do you think this is a scam?
(I have not replied yet

Hi Robertoicon_smile.gif I guess that's another post, but they appear in the same site (let's call it "site A")...
I have made my offer directly to the client of the posting you are talking about. I tell you how is the story...

Yesterday evening, after having read his posting on another website ("site B"), I sent him my offer, specifying my rates per word and asking for more details about the job. The amount of words was not indicated. He replied to my offer, asking for a general offer (not per word). I sent another e-mail with further details about my offer, but stating again my rate per source text word. After that, silence from him.
A few hours later, on this other website a similar job posting appears, posted by a colleague, stating that "no rate per word will be accepted". I gave up. But I don't think it is a scam, anyway...
Sorry, I hope I have been clear enough.

Roberto Lipani  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
Italian to English
+ ...
Website translation (2) Sep 11, 2010

Thank you very much Diana,
yes, your answer has been very clear. I requested further details as well for that job, but haven't received an answer yet.
We'll wait and seeicon_smile.gif
Thanks again for your help. Have a nice Saturday and weekend
Thanks to Claudio for the forum and the possibility to share experiences and opinions.
You both take care

Roberto

anniebro  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Beware of scams Sep 11, 2010

The company I do some freelance translation for was scammed by an e-mail they got that sounded like this one. Before you do any business make sure you get all their information (name, address, phone, so forth) and maybe a retainer fee. We lost $500.00

You can read more about this in the ATA group in LinkedIn.

Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
scam? Sep 12, 2010

ehm ...

indeed I didn't create this post thinking to a scam

my intent was simply to understand why some (many) LPs are so lazy to forget to mention vital informations as the topic

I don't translate anything, so in such a situation I have to loose time to contact a people that, may be, is searching for a different professional

on the main competing portal, one of owners said a time to me that most LPs are simply lazy, so I wanted to hear, from a LP's voice if it is true
icon_wink.gif

for Texjax: I know that there are "entities" that claim to translate everything, from knitting tech to quantum theory and beyond, but they aren't professionals, to me, and the job request I was referring to, was searching for professionals, apparently
icon_wink.gif

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-09-12 14:27 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website Content translator needed ...

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search