Payment Methods?
Thread poster: Marleen Bergers

Marleen Bergers
Local time: 21:21
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 20, 2010

Hello,

Would it be possible for someone to tell me all the methods that companies can pay me by?
My situation right now is: I have just arrived in Argentina, but the country only hands out a bank account AFTER ONE YEAR, so I am obliged to work via Western Union and DHL.
Therefore I would like to ask if you could provide me with anymore methods of how I could get paid, as I don't have any bank account anymore in my country of origin, Belgium either.

Marleen Bergers.

Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:21
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
online bank??? Sep 20, 2010

seems the easy answer... even an Belgium online Bank,
Paypal, moneybrokers,

There must be some option in Argentina itself, what do immigrants use when they arrive in Argentina , cash only??

Or you can give the bank account of somebody you trust in Belgium (close relative),
that 's what I did a few years back with my US clients, so they could send their cheques to a relative in the US (before Paypal, etc)...

Ed

Dennis Seine  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:21
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
PayPal card? Sep 20, 2010

First if all, I think the percentage PayPal charges on payments you receive are ridiculous, but could you get one of those credit cards that PayPal offers? That way you'd have direct access to the funds in your PayPal account. And is it just you in Argentina, or did you and your partner move there together? Because the other poster's idea of using the bank account of someone you trust seems to be a good idea as well. Finally, I have used Moneygram here in the US, which worked out well for me.

Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Poupança Sep 21, 2010

In Brazil we have a special bank account called "caderneta de poupança" with 3 differences to a usual bank account, on the point of view for the account holder:

a) the bank pays monthly about 0.5% over the lowest balance as interest rates. (I said "pay"!);

b) with exception that the bank does not give you checks ("cheques"), every other account management (e.g. home banking, debit card, etc.) is the same as a normal account;

c) the bank does not ask the Credit protection services who you are, what credits are due, etc.

So, ask at argentinian banks if they have something similar.

If you have a good friend in Argentina, ask him to open using his / her name for such an account, put some money on it, and wait until the bank sends the debit card. For now on, he/she/you may manage this bank account. Of course, it is on the name of your friend, and if he/she becomes your enemy, probably you get lost of this account. I suggest to finish this after you could open your own account.

Nothing may happen with your friend, except that if you earn too much, that he / she has to explain your earnings as his/her for Revenue Tax Department.

hth

Frances Leggett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:21
Italian to English
+ ...
online bank sounds like the right way to go... Sep 21, 2010

I just had a tiny scout around on Google and found:

Despite the spread of electronic banking, it’s still necessary to have at least a current account ( compte à vue/zichtrekening) in your country of residence, as cross-border bank transactions can be expensive and complicated, even when everything is denominated in euros. Online banking, using bank-supplied software or via the Internet, is gaining in popularity, but only in Belgium are there ‘genuine’ e-banks (banks operating entirely online, where you can open an account from the comfort of your home and never actually see your banker). Some online banks offer a full range of investment and loan services, complete with downloadable application forms (e.g. ING Bank, http://www.ing.be )
source: http://www.justlanded.com/english/Belgium/Belgium-Guide/Money/Banks

Note: only in Belgium are there 'genuine' e-banks! I'm sure if you have a scout around on Google you will find some banks which are entirely online and don't require you to go into a branch in your home country to open a bank account. UK has 'smile' (and possibly others), Italy has Fineco... etc.

HTH

Actually, just noticed that the site I quoted is actually a guide to moving countries etc, called justlanded.com so here is a link to Argentina > Money from the same site, just in case it has any good tips.
http://www.justlanded.com/english/Argentina/Money

[Edited at 2010-09-21 15:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-21 15:27 GMT]

Marleen Bergers
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Replies Sep 21, 2010

Thanks for the replies so far everyone, I'll look into it more then and see what the best options are.

Marleen bergers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment Methods?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search