Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:17
English to German
+ ...
Oct 11, 2010

This now includes the KudoZ pages.
Arguments for it: hopefully, it will keep my membership fee down.
Disadvantage (for me as KudoZ answerer); I feel like I am on a regular web page. And I have no need for most of these ads. I am not too happy about a translation company advertising their services for an absolutely cheap rate (+ 10% off) on KudoZ (the ad I am seeing is not in my particular languages, English and German).
Oh, and now I see two different ads at the same time, one on top of the page and one under "please respect the KudoZ rules". Very annoying, especially if these ads are in "flashing" mode.
I am logged in when I see these ads.

What are other advantages/ disadvantages that you can think of?
As I understand it, you can arrive at that page through search engines, i.e. log out and put a term that is currently being posted in Kudoz - it will be found by google or any other search engine.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Bernhard

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:17
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Never see them Oct 11, 2010

I have AdMuncher installed. It keeps away those ads everywhere I go with my browser. It keeps also download-times low.
(But I'm afraid if all internet-users start to use these munchers, many a commercial site will lose its income (on-line newspapers etc.).

Regards
Heinrich

Hermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:17
English to German
+ ...
They are not visible at my end... Oct 11, 2010

... and I don't use AdMuncher or other things of the kind. I only get CAT ads.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:17
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
text ads Oct 11, 2010

I'm not sure if you're talking about Text Ads http://www.proz.com/?sp=my_textads but I find them quite misleading. For example, you click on a proz user's name to go to their profile, and right in that profile there is an advert for another proz user. I think there is a danger that someone might come to my profile and then click on the text ad thinking that it is part of my profile.

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clicking on the ad led me to their company website Oct 11, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I'm not sure if you're talking about Text Ads http://www.proz.com/?sp=my_textads but I find them quite misleading. For example, you click on a proz user's name to go to their profile, and right in that profile there is an advert for another proz user. I think there is a danger that someone might come to my profile and then click on the text ad thinking that it is part of my profile.

Hi, Emma.
Thanks for your input.
I used to ignore those ads as long as they were for CAT tools or other things a translator might need. I first realized that there is a lot of advertising going on when I saw an ad by a company advertising their translation services (a annoyingly flashing ad displaying their service - XXXXXX/ZZZZ translations and also mentioning their "10 % off deal, in big red letters). By clicking on it, I would arrive at their website, not a proz.com profile.

Best,
Bernhard

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I get not just CAT tool ads Oct 11, 2010

Hermann wrote:

... and I don't use AdMuncher or other things of the kind. I only get CAT ads.

When I first noticed the ads, I believe they were only for CAT tools or other things possibly interesting for translators. Only yesterday I saw the ad for a translation company, providing services out of a Euro-Asian country, advertising their services for 10% off. Support told me that these ads appear "intermittently".

Thanks for your input.
Bernhard

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
Specialized agency advertising Oct 12, 2010

The ads you are referencing are for a specialized agency, and they are only displayed to other agencies that might need their specialized services. The ads have been filtered to only deliver to account types that are listed as "agency" or "both freelancer and outsourcer" - Bernhard you are seeing these ads as your profile meets those criteria.

These particular ads are very infrequent, however, their click response has been quite high 300% higher than the site average - their services appear to be of interest to many site users.

Most ads, the ones in question included, will only display to members once or twice every 24-48 hours. While non-members see these ads more frequently.

Advertising does allow ProZ.com to support many site features like the Blue board, while developing new features, tools and opportunities.

Regards,

Drew

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:17
English to Slovak
+ ...
Not sure if that's what you are looking for but try this... Oct 12, 2010

...Right click on any ad on the page and select "Block images from ProZ.com".

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same ad keeps showing up Oct 18, 2010

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

These particular ads are very infrequent, however, their click response has been quite high 300% higher than the site average - their services appear to be of interest to many site users.

Most ads, the ones in question included, will only display to members once or twice every 24-48 hours. While non-members see these ads more frequently.

Advertising does allow ProZ.com to support many site features like the Blue board, while developing new features, tools and opportunities.

Regards,

Drew

Thanks, Drew.

I keep seeing the same ad for the same agency, so I am getting used to it.
I think everybody who sees it will click on it at least once, it's very red and constantly flashing.

I suppose there are ways to set the page so you don't see it.

Bernhard

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ad should not be on profile page Oct 18, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Hi Emma,

I agree, such ads should not show up on one's profile page, clients might click and find such a "good" or "bad" deal that they never ask you for services again.
the one ad I saw was visible to me only in the KudoZ forum (so far) and not on my profile page - that would be pretty bad.
Cheers,

I don't think it's a text ad it has the same format as the ads for CAT tools, and this particular one flashes in red over and over again.

Bernhard

[Edited at 2010-10-18 19:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-10-18 19:47 GMT]

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
should only be 1-2 per 24 hours Oct 18, 2010

Bernhard, I just double checked, and the system should only be displaying you 1-2 of these ads per 24 hour period. You may see different sizes of the same ad, but not more than 2 from this company in a 24 hour period.

I am a little concerned that you appear to be seeing this add more frequently than that. Have you been deleting cookies or clearing browser cache? Do you block/prevent cookies from ProZ.com? The cookie that is installed is how we manage to throttle the delivery.

If you are allowing ProZ.com cookies, and you are not clearing cache or history, and you see more than 1-2 of these ads in a 24 hour period - please let me know, as that would indicate a problem with our ad delivery system.

In the meantime, I have requested that this advertiser supply us with new ads that do not have the flashing red (which, can be distracting).

Thanks

Drew

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
will double check Oct 18, 2010

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

Bernhard, I just double checked, and the system should only be displaying you 1-2 of these ads per 24 hour period. You may see different sizes of the same ad, but not more than 2 from this company in a 24 hour period.

I am a little concerned that you appear to be seeing this add more frequently than that. Have you been deleting cookies or clearing browser cache? Do you block/prevent cookies from ProZ.com? The cookie that is installed is how we manage to throttle the delivery.

If you are allowing ProZ.com cookies, and you are not clearing cache or history, and you see more than 1-2 of these ads in a 24 hour period - please let me know, as that would indicate a problem with our ad delivery system.

In the meantime, I have requested that this advertiser supply us with new ads that do not have the flashing red (which, can be distracting).

Thanks

Drew

Thank you for asking for a non red-flashing ad.
I have not been deleting cookies, clearing the browser cache or blocking/preventing cookies from ProZ.com.
I will count the occurrences in KudoZ - and let you know.
Thanks again,
Bernhard

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
There are no ads on profile pages Oct 18, 2010

Just to make sure there is no confusion. There are no ads of any kind on profile pages - there are no ProZ.com ads for CAT tools, or other services, there are no Google Adsense ads and there are no directory text ads. There are no ads whatsoever on ProZ.com profile pages. Profile pages are your shop window or space to advertise your services.

The directory text ads - http://www.proz.com/advertising/directory are only shown on directory search results pages - just like when you search Google, you see search results, and to the side, you see advertising results that match the search criteria.

Again, there are no ads on profile pages.

Regards,

Drew

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
logged in versus non-logged in and multiple browers Oct 18, 2010

Thanks Bernhard, I appreciate your helping me identify if there is a problem with the delivery system.

I should also note that the delivery limitation is assuming that a user is 1) logged in, and 2) using the same browser.

If you are viewing pages not-logged in, then you will see more ads. If you use two different browsers (Chrome, IE8, Firefox) the ad limits will be per browser, and the use of multiple browsers could lead to the perception of being delivered more ads.

Regards,

Drew

p.s. I disabled all of those ads until the client can supply me with less obtrusive versions.

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Drew! Oct 18, 2010

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

p.s. I disabled all of those ads until the client can supply me with less obtrusive versions.

Thanks.
Bernhard

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ads on ProZ.com pages

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search