survey: role of client education and quality in your business
Thread poster: Julian Bisping

Julian Bisping
Local time: 18:18
English to German
Oct 16, 2010

Hi, everyone. I am a graduate student in translation at Kent State University and currently working on a research project on Translation Client-Vendor Interaction, which involves a survey I would invite you to take. It addresses issues related to client education and quality in translation. The survey will take some time (approximately 20 minutes), and some thought too, but it addresses crucial issues for freelance translators/project managers working in the industry today. So far, these topics have barely been touched by academia (or anyone else, for that matter), despite their importance.

Here's the link: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/381988/Translation-Client-Vendor-Interaction

Please spread the word!

Best,

Julian Bisping

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:18
English to German
+ ...
The survey doesn't work as is Oct 16, 2010

1.) We can only decide between PM and freelance translator. Sorry, a lot of translators run their own, registered businesses. Technically they are employees of their own business.

2.) The question: "Do you have a university degree?". Sorry, a lot of translators have more than one. However, we can only chose one, either "translation" or "other".

Which is why I can't complete your survey.

Julian Bisping
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
the survey works, here is how you do it Oct 16, 2010

Thank you for your input, you can still complete the survey by doing the following:

For the question "Who are you?" pick freelance translator even if you have a registered business and are "technically" an employee. The emphasis is on self-employed translator, if you will, as opposed to project manager or in-house translator who does not handle client contacts.

For the question "Do you have a university degree?" you should now be able to choose both "In translation" and "In a field that is not translation" at the same time.

Thanks again,

Julian Bisping

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Freelancer vs self-employed Oct 16, 2010

Nicole Schnell wrote:
1.) We can only decide between PM and freelance translator. Sorry, a lot of translators run their own, registered businesses. Technically they are employees of their own business.

I don't think that the term "freelancer" excludes self-employed people, or that the term "self-employed" excludes one-employee sole-owner businesses. If you are the owner of a business and you are the business's only or main employee (i.e. if there is one other employee, an administrative position), then you are as good as self-employed. And if you have clients instead of customers, then you are also a freelancer. What is your opinion?

[Edited at 2010-10-16 21:55 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Problems with your survey Oct 16, 2010

Nesrin's right -- there are some problems with your survey. Did your teachers at university give you a course on research skills? Well, it doesn't matter too much -- you can't have a perfect survey anyway.

One problem with your survey is that your questions imply things that you didn't mean to imply, and some of the implied things can even insult the person filling in the survey. For example: In your culture, anything less than 40 hours a week is "part-time", and you say so in your survey too. I wonder what it is that you're trying to determine in that question, though -- exactly how many hours people work, or whether they are full-timers or part-timers? In the country where I currently stay, a person is considered (by his peers and by society) to be full-time employed if he works at least 7 hours a day for at least 4 days a week, i.e. at least 28 hours a week. That is much less than the expectation of society in your culture, but the emotional connotation is the same... a person who is a full-time worker is in a different class than a person who is a mere part-timer.

Another problem with your survey is that it makes assumptions about the uniformity of various cultures. For example, you ask about university degrees, but a degree in one country may be a minimum of 4 years whereas a university degree in another country may be as little as 2 years. Or, in some countries translators are trained for three or four years at occupational colleges and not so much at universities -- what should such a person answer in your survey... "no" for a translation-related univerrsity degree?

But I think you'll still get some useful data from the survey.

Julian Bisping
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
survey open for in-house translators too Oct 21, 2010

Hi everyone,

First of all, the survey is now open to translators/project managers working for in-house clients as well. So if you know of anyone who would be interested in taking it, please feel free to forward the link.

Second, thanks for your input, Samuel, I did notice the implication I made about the hours per week in the question about full-time/part-time employment and added instructions about how to handle the question (if you're considered full-time in your country working less than 40 hours you would still select full-time). Where the degree is concerned: you have a valid point and I will consider it in the next survey, but you can imagine how difficult it is to create a survey that will be coherent for every culture.

Best,
Julian Bisping

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:18
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Our status Oct 22, 2010

We the translators are in deeply complicated working system now, partially due to advancement of Internet.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

[Edited at 2010-10-22 08:51 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

survey: role of client education and quality in your business

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search