Resume/CV in PowerPoint
Thread poster: Stanislaw Czech, MCIL

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:16
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 19, 2010

Recently I begun to think about creating my Resume in PowerPoint rather than in Word. Having several slides instead of 1 or 2 pages would allow to present ideas in more organized way and concentrate the reader on one aspect of my offer at a time.

For clients who don't like PowerPoint such presentation could be saved in pdf.

What do you think?

Best Regards
Stanislaw


 

Eugenia K.
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:16
English to Russian
+ ...
lots of options Oct 19, 2010

I have a CV as pdf, doc, ppt and ppt in pdf

However, I normally use only first two. There has already been a discussion here where translators were talking about "business portfolio", "business proposal" vs. "marketing proposal". It seems only few people use it. I think it could be a good idea for websites or regular clients. Probably in other situations it's worth being a bit more conservative. However, some creativity is vital at times to attract attention.

Regards,

Eugenia

[Edited at 2010-10-19 10:24 GMT]


 

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:16
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
What's the use? Oct 19, 2010

PPT
+ : visual effects, multiple slides
– : large fonts, no hyperlinks (or crazy handling of URLs), awful printing, kitsch

PDF
+ : platform independent, multiple pages, controlled printing, URLs, comments, fields, automation, protection
– : sometimes large files


 

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:16
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Depends on the use Oct 19, 2010

In most circumstances, I would agree with Sergei.

However, I can imagine it might have its place, in addition to the Word/pdf version. Perhaps on your website to present yourself and your experience?


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Stanislaw Oct 19, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:
Recently I begun to think about creating my résumé in PowerPoint rather than in Word. Having several slides instead of 1 or 2 pages would allow to present ideas in more organized way and concentrate the reader on one aspect of my offer at a time. ... For clients who don't like PowerPoint such presentation could be saved in pdf.


I think it is a good idea, if you pimp your PowerPoint (PPT) file as a portfolio or as a presentation, not as a résumé. It can contain the same information as your résumé, but the fact is that people have certain expectations about résumés that include the way it is formatted (i.e. as something that that is non-interactive, that can be viewed without having to allot all of one's attention to it, that can be printed out easily, and that can be copied from to another file easily). Sending a PPT file when a résumé is requested will cause your file to be deleted by those who expect something else.

Having a PDF version is also nice, but even that can't replace a résumé, because a résumé is a tight document with all information one or two pages, whereas your PDF of the presentation will likely contain several slides to be viewed individually. The nice thing about having everything on a single page or on very few pages is that you can read information at a glance, and you can read it in the order you want to, but a PDF created from a PPT file forces the reader to read it in your preferred order and to read everything (not just glance at the items the reader isn't interested in).


 

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:16
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
matrioshka Oct 19, 2010

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Perhaps on your website to present yourself and your experience?

Website already does in well. It has pages, frames... You can add Java and pop-ups... I cannot see the point in making a multi-page presentation downloadable from an interactive multi-page website with the the same content.
Who will play with this Russian doll?icon_smile.gif

Why not composing a CV-based song then?
What the reader needs is facts and figures. The form of presentation is secondary...

[Редактировалось 2010-10-19 10:39 GMT]


 

Anna Konar  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:16
English to Russian
+ ...
I have .ppt resume Oct 19, 2010

... and I send both my .doc and .ppt resumes to my clients.

.ppt resume is more informal, there's lots of pictures there - like my diploma, pictures from my work places etc. which only prove the facts stated in my .doc resume. So for me .ppt resume is just an addition to the main one. And within 6 months only 1 client said "WOW" about it. Others did not give any feedback about presentation. May be they didn't even downloaded it as its size is 2.5 Mb.

I wish I could upload my .ppt resume at proz.com


 

Alison Sabedoria  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Not for a CV Oct 19, 2010

The point of a CV is that it is more or less standardised in format, so that many can be sifted through quickly. Clarity and content are the priorities. It should be well presented, but should not be a presentation. A CV is normally a back-up for a freelancer, rather than the major resource it might be for someone seeking employment. Your main "shop-window" investment should be elsewhere.

On the other hand, a PPT presentation on CD, or that can be sent by e-mail, could be a good way of introducing new clients to your work (I use them for my artwork), if you don't already have a website that does this for you. Otherwise, as Sergei says, a website is generally much better.


 

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:16
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I stand corrected ;-) Oct 19, 2010

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:
Website already does in well. It has pages, frames... You can add Java and pop-ups... I cannot see the point in making a multi-page presentation downloadable from an interactive multi-page website with the the same content.


The problem is that when you say "interactive multi-page website" you've really lost me. I might just be able to put together a ppt presentation (I went on a course, anyway) but the website bit: I personally could NOT add Java and pop-ups. No way!icon_smile.gif

I agree with Anna that it might work well here on ProZ.


 

Alison Sabedoria  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Straying off topic, maybe... Oct 19, 2010

Anna Konar wrote:

... I wish I could upload my .ppt resume at proz.com


I agree that a PPT option on ProZ might be useful, lying technologically somewhere between the standardised presentation and a webpage. Not everyone is familiar enough with HTML to make the most of the existing "personalisation" options. It took me 6 months to get the hang of it!

Don't worry, Sheila, a website doesn't need lots of all-singing, all-dancing gizmos. Visitors to my site have even commented that it's nice not to see them, though I admit there are a few lurking at the back on the Blog page! icon_wink.gif


 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:16
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Good idea Oct 20, 2010

Sheila Wilson wrote:

In most circumstances, I would agree with Sergei.

However, I can imagine it might have its place, in addition to the Word/pdf version. Perhaps on your website to present yourself and your experience?

Yes, I also need another option.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resume/CV in PowerPoint

Advanced search







Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search